Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Effexor and sexual side effects

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Effexor and sexual side effects
I was recently placed on Effexor for depression/panic attacks/anxiety.  I have read a lot of information about the side effects and the one that seems to be most common are the sexual side effects. As a physically fit, 28 year old male, with a current strong sex drive, can I automatically assume that I will experience sexual side effects or lack of sex drive? I asked my doctor to place me on something that had the least sexual side effects, and Effexor was his suggestion. Is age or physical condition a factor in Effexor's sexual side effects? If I do experience sexual side effects, what specifically can I expect and will it be manageable or temporary. I'm afraid that if the sexual side effects are strong that it will worsen my anxiety (ie performance anxiety).
Its important to realize that all people do not get sexual inhibition side effects, and there seems to be less with Effexor. If you do get those effects, ask your doctor about adding wellbutrin as a supplement, which usually takes care of the issue.
you gotta get it outta your mind man. I think alot of the whole "sexual side effects" is in our heads. Try relaxing and not trying to think, "man, am I ever gonna raise to the occasion." ;) I was on 150 mg effexor for a year, getting off of it is a completely different story. When I first started, I could not even "get the job done" solo. After about two months I was back to my old horny self...so stop sweatin' it, you'll get your mojo back before you know it!! michelle