Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Emotionally void man is changing daily and likes it

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

After a very difficult divorce I began a FWB (friends with benefits) relationship with a long term male friend (10+ year friendship)  Our chemistry is amazing.  During this time he has opened up like never before talking about his past.  He had no bonding with his parents and lived a seedy poor life.  15 years ago he made a change, moved (which is where  I met him) and is the man I know today. Mid 50's, me mid 40's. There is a lot that is undesirable about him. He does not treat women well at all, no self esteem, runs from potentially emotionally bonding situations,  and the list goes on and on. However with and to me he is has always been well mannered, gentleman, and great loyal friend. I am very comforable with him and he me.  I have read about synapse and I was wondering how can he form the good connections in the area of the brain that he missed out on from birth to age 11 (seems the critial time).  Although we are not on the path for love, he has come a long way from his past and enjoys the feeling/improvements he has made.  Through our intimacy he has come a long way. He now yearns to be touched, massaged, passionate kissing, has memory recall with the scents I use etc.. He is working his way through his past in his mind. Remembering and accepting things. He plans on going to a therapist but we wondered if there are supplements (more calcium/zinc) that help increase the production of the connections.  Thank you!
Hello.

I am not aware of any benefit of nutritional supplements with regards to forming specific neuronal connections in the brain. New connections (synapses) are formed when new thoughts, actions are learned and practiced over a period of time. For him to be able to form the new good connections, he needs to identify and practice the thoughts and behaviors that are desirable.

The process of therapy can help him identify the good thoughts and learn new behaviors. The process also involves find out old self-defeating patterns and minimize them. All these things together lead to forming new connections in the brain.  

Hope this helps.