Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Extreme phobia

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Extreme phobia

I am a 33 year old female with a history of depression (not currently on medication).  I feel okay and I am usually pretty good about knowing when I am getting into trouble.  I have a problem that I have never mentioned to anyone because I am afraid of what they might say.  I have a terrible phobia of bugs, any type of bugs or rodents, etc.  Sometimes I think I see bugs, when they aren't there.  It usually just lasts for a couple of seconds.  If I look away and look back they will probably be gone.  This is really beginning to worry me.  I have nightmares about bugs or rodents and sometimes I have panic attacks over nothing.  Just sitting and talking to my boss I will start shaking and I just pass it off as being cold.  But really I am a nervous wreck and can't hardly talk because my teeth are chattering so bad.  I feel like if I don't get some help, I will go off the deep end.  But, I can't tell anyone because I am afraid that they would want to put me in a hospital and I could lose my job, my kids, everything.  I don't have anyone else to talk to.  Is there anything that I can do to make this stop?  Will it go away or will it get worse?
KP,

You describe visual hallucinations and phobia related panic attacks that may represent different problems.  Phobias are the most common psychiatric disorder and are very treatable.  I encourage you undergo a psychiatric evaluation to clarify these issues as it is clear that they cause you much distress.  From what you have relayed to me there is no indication to hospitalize
you or that you will lose everything but, are extremely anxious.
Hope this was helpful.  Good luck.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords: Anxiety, Visual hallucinations
Have you tried any individual or group therapy?  Therapists deal with people who have phobias (they're quite common)all the time and wouldn't put you in the hospital just because you have a phobia.  Also, some anti-depressant medications are effective for the anxiety you describe that's related to the phobia.  You might want to talk to your precribing physician about trying an anti-depressant again.  The combinaiton of therapy and medicaiton was great for me and I would encourage you to give it a try.  Lots of people have fears like yours and get better.  Sharing your pohobia with someone who can treat it will get you started to feeling better.  Good luck.
As a refrigeration  and Air conditioning engineer i was interested to hear of a engineer Who developed Figophobia ( the Fear of Cold Things, such That everytime he went to work on a fridge?freezer he would uncontrolable burst into tears as it reminded him of the loss of his wife (Some ten years Ago) when they ran a business together selling and repairing them.And as a result has not worked in the refrigeration industry since.

I would be very interested to hear about any other cases of  Engineers Developing Phobias About the tools or equipment they used to routinley work with.
Thank you for your attention .Yours faithfully Jack Kybird swan Domestic Service and Training Manager ***@****
I am extremly afraid of insects,GRASSHOPPERS,crickets and anything else except for snakes and rats. I cant breath when they are near me and feel that I need to run. I have jumped out of a car I was driving because of a grasshopper in the back windshield (inside the car) and I have also put my hand thru a window needing stitches afterwards. I will either cry,pass out, hyperventilate or all of the above. How can I overcome this.

My brothers and family used to chase me with them and still do today.

Please help if you can

Kimberly