Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Eye problems with stress and depression

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Eye problems with stress and depression

I wondered whether you could tell me the reason, with chronic stress/depression, for eye strain symptoms like red eyes and in particular the enlarged pupil of my right eye when overstressed and tired. I have been under the doctor for stress problems for a number of years and when I take paroxetine it normally relieves the symptoms.
Unfortunately, I sought help from the doctor later than I should have done, so instead of it being possibly an acute problem it seems to be chronic. This presumeably means that there is no long term cure? It does mean that it is an embarrassing condition that is noticable as I have blue eyes and that others seem to find worrying.
A young woman I know who also had stress problems of a severe nature also had this phenominon but as she has brown eyes it wasn't quite so conspicuous.
I would be most interested to know what it is that might cause this problem and whether there might be a long term cure.
I can honestly say I have never heard of this and know nothing about it....I suggest you consult the people who make Paxil to see if they have any knowledge about this.
1 Comment
I am wondering does your pupil react to light?
Yeah, with this case, that might be one that you'd definitely want to mention to your regular doc. They need to determine what might be causing one pupil to be larger than the other one. Nothing to panic about, but one would think that has to be something to be followed up on fully.