Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Financial Aid

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Financial Aid

My sister is a realtor but every year she sells less and less.  Now she only lists properties (which is one at a time)upon referrals.  She was married twice and has been in court constantly for divorce proceedings and child custody.  Unfortunately these have overlapped.  She is paranoid that someone is watching her every move, she feels the police are following her (her second husband called the police to her house at least 48 times complaining there was child abuse, or whatever else he could dream up), she cuts her hair everyday, she thinks shes fat (128 at 5"5"), she now cannot go anywhere unless she has drunk enough beer or wine to have the nerve to leave her house.  Then it takes 3 hours to get ready.  She is now thinking about shaving her head.  She believes that since her second husband just got a two bedroom apartment that he is getting ready to take her to court again to get full custody of the 8 yr old girl.  They both have her equal times.

The problem is this - she makes less and less as time goes on and she cannot seek help because she can't afford it.  She also believes if she seeks help, the courts will grant her ex custody.  Is there any financial aid available or pro bono psychiatrists in the DFW area?  I am afraid that within one year she will resort to suicide.  She already acknowledges that she has no life and no person anymore because "someone is always watching her and because she spent 12 years in court.
Dear Pat
Your sister seems to be having lot of issues to deal with. She obviously needs a comprehensive evaluation by a trained Mental health Professional as early as possible for adequate diagnosis and treatment. If she can not afford to treatment, she can call community Mental Health Clinics in her local area for an appointment. I am not familiar with financial aid in her situation except that some severely mentally ill people qualify for social security disability. You may have to check with local government agencies pertaining to that.

Sincerely

HFHS-M.D.
1 Comment
When I needed to see a mental health professional during a period of unemployment I called a local medical school.  They have students that can see you on a sliding scale fee.  I had no income and was seen for $5 and given free samples of medication to get me through until I found a job.  Your sister must do this now!

I know that the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine is in Fort Worth.  They would be great.  Also, try Parkland in Dallas.  There is also several nursing schools there that can help you.  Call today!