Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Finding the right help
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Finding the right help

Son is 28 years old. Very bright by all accounts. Finished private high school but was behavorially challenge. Has so far attended 4 universities in the US and abroad but did not spend more than 2 years in any and has started study ranging from Medicine to architecture to literature to etc. and lost interest after a semester or two. Same with with work: cannot hold a job. Has tried once to self destruct. Never underwent any psychiatric nor psychological evaluation. Sibling "normal".
Suspect a biological basis for the behavior.
Question: should he see a psychologist or a psychiatrist or an endocrinologist or a neuroscientist or etc.? And how do we go finding the right expert in the New York metropolitan area? He is more than willing to seek help.