Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Forgetting simple descriptive word

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Forgetting simple descriptive word

Over the last 6 months, I have been forgetting simple words.  I know this happens to everyone now and again but it is noticeable increasing for me and my husband has commented on it.
As an example during a discussion with my husband, instead of using the word "bury him" I said "put him down" which I then explained "as put him down in a hole in the ground".
My normal memory and mental functions don't seem to be impaired at all.  I also took a dementia test (on the internet) and only lost one mark.
We do have a different lifestyle at the moment as we sold our house and we are currently taking a gap year (from work) and are living in Spain, learning Spanish (slowly), and walking the mountains and writing.
I agree with the comments that have already been made.  It does not sound serious and is probably related to your attempt to learn a new language or being preoccupied with other mental adaptive tasks
I wonder if it could be attributed to the learning of a new language.  Being enmeshed in a new culture can necessitate the use of a foreign language to communicate.  You may just be distracted or overwhelmed with new words or your mind may be looking for the translation??  
The stress involved with your change in lifestyle may also be a contributing factor.  

You may just need some time to process and adapt to your new environment.  (Six months sounds like adequate time though.  Not sure.  Perhaps you have other concerns that may be distracting you??).

I'm not sure but I'm confident the doctor will be able to offer you his interpretation and also some advice.

Enjoy your time in Spain.

J
It sounds like the learning of a new language is crossing over to what you know. The English language has many words or phrases that can not be translated. So in learning a new a language these words have to be described out. Such as "bury" in English being "put him down" in Spanish. So when you go back to English one can tend to explain things out instead of just using the simple English term they knew.
I have several friends who do this with Italian. They are fluent in both languages however sometimes they are unable to think of the word in English. They will say what they are trying to say in Italian and it will come out as a long phrase. They will then translate the phrase to English ( elongated). I will then know what they are talking about and give them the the one English word that puts it all together.
I am sorry if this was a little confusing. I hope this is helpful and nothing more than just a language translation problem.
Thanks for your responses, it relieves the worry to see that there might be a simple answer.