Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Getting over addiction

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Getting over addiction

My boyfriend has been taking Xanex, Roches, Mylans for about 3 years now and is trying to kick the habit.  He stays awake all hours of the day and mostly the night.  He hasn't got a good nights sleep in a while.  At first he could hardly eat, but that is getting better now.  He seems to have very high anxiety and he gets mad at the drop of a hat.  I want to help him but I don't know what I can do.  He said today it would just be easier to eat them rather then feel this way.  He thinks he's going crazy!!  Please help!!!  I don't know what to do
Laurie,

Xanax is a medication that generally requires a careful taper so you do not precipitate withdrawal symptoms(rebound anxiety, seizures, agitation etc.) which can be life threatening in some instances.  I have no clue as to what you mean regarding "Roches and Mylans".  I suggest that your boyfriend followup with a psychiatrist who can direct him in this process.  Chemical dependancy treatment programs would also be potentially beneficial.  Good Luck.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords:  Xanax addiction

It sounds like he has a serious addiction and xanax withdrawal requires detox by medical supervision. Without medical supervision he could have life threatening seizures! Try to convince him to see an addiction specialist or psychiatrist to help him get off the stuff.

The reason he feels he is going crazy is probably due to the withdrawal symptoms which are very unpleasant!
"roches" are Rohypnol very strong barbituric causes heavy dependency,and you have to be careful,I took these pills for 2 years and it was very dificult to stop and when i did i suffered
a seizure,and dislocated my shoulder it took me a long time to stop but i did , he is going thru hell right now and he needs you very much keep him company , and let him know that not taking these pills is the best thing he can do when he gets over it he will realize life is beatiful.