Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Going off prozac after 2 weeks?!

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Going off prozac after 2 weeks?!

I have been on Prozac now for just a little over two weeks. My doctor prescribed it for general anxiety. I've tried some anti-depressants on and off over the past 6-8 years. The first week of Prozac was fine, even good, but then I started to experience some not-so-pleasant side effects. Today, for instance, I feel drugged, light-headed, slightly sick to my stomach. But mostly, I am unable to sleep and I just can not handle that. Because of this, and not truly wanting to be on medication in the first place, I would like to go off. But the last time I went off a anti-depressant I had some pretty bad withdrawal symptoms. If I've only had Prozac in my system for a couple of weeks, should I stop cold-turkey, or taper off, to avoid these symptoms?

Thanks!
  • Going back on Prozac (13 replies):
    I would like to know if anyone has gone off prozac for a...[more]
  • Prozac (5 replies):
    I am on prozac as of last Wednesday. I feel the same if...[more]
  • prozac withdrawls (3 replies):
    I started having anxiety attacks in 2005 and my doctor p...[more]
  • prozac (1 replies):
    Hi, I was taking 10 mg of prozac for one month and it re...[more]
  • Prozac (1 replies):
    Have been taking Prozac 20 mg for about 17 years feel th...[more]
You definitely should not stop cold turkey, but wean yourself over a two week period so the last week you have the lowest dose every 3rd day, then stop.  the lower dose may get rid of your side effects and let you stay on it, so watch that.