Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Going off xanax

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Going off xanax

I have a "calendar" on how to decrease my xanax.  Currently taking 0.25 mg. twice a day.  Not high dose, I know, but been having problems with addiction/tolerance levels - it was higher this past year.  One dr. says I could use Klonopin instead of the xanax and then go off that;  another doctor said I could add a beta blocker, low dose while going off the xanax.  I'm confused with what to do and what would be the easiest and least "painful" way of getting off xanax.  All drugs have their side effects.  I found that the xanax xr, 1 mg. daily for months - made me worse, more anxiety, depressed, lethargic, gave me insomnia, etc.   Since I stopped the XR and started the regular xanax, I have felt a bit better.  Hoping someone can comment here and help.
The best way would be to switch to klonopin to get off the xanax, then wean yourself from klonopin if you need too....
Are you saying it will be easier to wean off the klonopin?  How long would I stay on the klonopin?
Klonopin might be easier  to come off if you TAPER slowly with your Dr.'s supervision. I'm 18 days off it. I went cold turkey, which I would not recommend! I am still having withdrawal symptoms. I hope things work out for you.
I've been on 6mg/day of Xanax for several years...like 7yrs..Yes I know this is aweful. I went to my shrink, lol, sorry for the terminology, and we discussed getting off xanax with Klonopin. I'm now on 1mg Klonopin TID...which I've stretch out instead of TID in the usual since of 6hrs to 8hrs and if I have any "feelings of anxiousness or the tinglies from w/d from the benzo" I take a .5mg of xanax. It's day 2. Today only had to take one .5mg along with the klonopin. I like the long affect of Klonopin, but how long do you think it will take me to totally get off the benzo ride? I want off this train and don't want it to be painful, or sickening like other withdrawals of medications can be. And, I'm so use to xanax, the short acting affects that I could do what I am able to do, now on the Klonopin I want to sleeeeeeeep. How long will this last?
Thanks for any info.
I'm on Valium 2.5mg/day at HS, I used 5mg/HS for seven days, then tapered down to the 2.5mg/HS(bedtime) for four days, then to 1.25mg/HS for the past two days & now I feel like ****.  I have severe panic attacks at night, so now Psyc. MD says I would need to go onto Neurontin or Depakote to get off valium.  Im only on valium, because a couple of weeks before I started that I was on ATIVAN, tappered off - BAM rebound, made me so sick, nervouse, tackycaridic, jittery, moody;  she then tried Zoloft 12.5mg/day, and Trezadone 25mg/day (for sleep), and made my rebound symptoms worse (burning skin, tremors, no appetite, insomnia), she said I could not tolerate SSRI's (duh), & saying this is the only way to help me stabalize my panic disorder.  She thinks I suffer from  a chemical in balance, more than just a turn on my stress.  Which is better Depakote or Neurontin.  Why so high of a dose on neurontin (300mg 2xday for 5 days, then up it to 300mg/3xday).  I'm so freaked out to take this medication.  All this arose from one night on Oct. 29th when I awoke with a heart rate of 158BPM according to EMT, they thought I was having PSVT (not ruled out yet, going on an event monitor Nov.30), and the E.R. started me on ATIVAN 1mg/day & atenolol 12.5mg/day, didn't like the effects ( BP were 98/68, 60-58BPM, lethargic, depressed, crying spells), the ATIVAN I thought I tappered off slow, but guess not, cause I started having this weird sensation all over my skin (burning), increased B/P, & increased heart rates with worse panic attacks.  Now Im back on a benzo/Valium & don't want to live like this, but I'm so terriefied to take medications.  Will the Neurontin help?  How low can neurontin be perscribed at.  She (psy. MD) told me she would start me on a low dose 100mg/TID, but picked up my pill they say 300mg/bid for 5 days, then 300mg/BID.  I'M SO CONFUSED CAN YOU HELP ME?