Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Head Shaking
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Head Shaking

I am a licensed professional counselor and have come across a condition that has baffled me.  A five-year-old child was brought to me with a head shaking problem.  She has been shaking her head from side to side since she was able to sit up at about five months of age.  From time to time she has complained to her mother that it feels like spiders in her head.  She wakes up shaking her head and in times of stress shakes her head.  Her mother says she can go on for hours.  The only other notable symptom is that the child has never been consolable.  Mother complains that whenever she hurts herself (i.e. falls down on her skates) the whole neighborhood can hear her wail and she might keep that up for an extended period of time.  If the child weren't so cognizant, I might think she had some form of autism but she is developmentally sound.  My clientele is made up of children and adolescents and I'm feeling very amateurish right about now.  The internet was a source I thought I'd try.  Thanks for any help you can offer.