Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Head Shaking

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Head Shaking

I am a licensed professional counselor and have come across a condition that has baffled me.  A five-year-old child was brought to me with a head shaking problem.  She has been shaking her head from side to side since she was able to sit up at about five months of age.  From time to time she has complained to her mother that it feels like spiders in her head.  She wakes up shaking her head and in times of stress shakes her head.  Her mother says she can go on for hours.  The only other notable symptom is that the child has never been consolable.  Mother complains that whenever she hurts herself (i.e. falls down on her skates) the whole neighborhood can hear her wail and she might keep that up for an extended period of time.  If the child weren't so cognizant, I might think she had some form of autism but she is developmentally sound.  My clientele is made up of children and adolescents and I'm feeling very amateurish right about now.  The internet was a source I thought I'd try.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Possibilities that this child maybe suffering includes motor tic disorder, or pervasive developmental disorders like Asperger's.
A complete developmental history including family history may give you an indication as to what condition she may be suffering from.
If you have any further doubts, I advise that you refer the child to a child psychiatrist. She may benefit with some medications if indicated.