Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Herbal alternatives to Zoloft

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Herbal alternatives to Zoloft

I've been on Zoloft (75 mg/day) for 5 years. I want to find a natural remedy instead. In addition I feel fatigue all the time, I want to sleep all the time it seems. I hear Ashwaganda or other herbal adaptogens might ease my anxiety/depression and give me more energy. What do you know about this?

Thanks!
I would not suggest herbal substitutes because they had not been well studied and the dosage has not been standardized so you do not know what you're getting and how much you are getting.

Give Zoloft is the longer effective for you you might ask your doctor about Celexa.
Oh Celexa!!! I am in Britain where Celexa is known as Cipramil. I was on it a year and tired of the sexual dysfunction and mental nullity- I'm a freelance writer and wrote nothing for that whole year- couldn't do it. Anyway, I tapered with Doctor's supervision and went through 'electric shocks' headaches and nausea etc. Now it's six weeks since my last dose and still I'm getting celexa-like symptoms- nausea and head rushes, muscle-stiffness and jerky spasms on going to bed. I ask myself whether this can be a long term upshot of the drug- my doctor is *very* circumspect about that. Anyone else had that? My email is ***@**** by the way. I welcome all tales of Celexa/Cipramil hell.
What about the possible Zoloft side effect of wanting to sleep a lot? This is the 2nd part of my first question....
As for the answer to the second part of your question.  I have been taken Zoloft for about 8 years now and my doctor had suggested to take the Zolof at bed time.  This way if it makes you sleepy and tired, your taking it at the best time.  Everyone say's that after your body is use to the medication you will do just fine, and it's said that it usually takes about two weeks. Don't get discuraged - it took me about 6 weeks and let me tell you I'm glad I didn't give up and waited it out.  I feel like a brand new person.  Hang in there - you will be glad you did.
I have been on Zoloft for almost 1 year.  I have tried all herbal alternatives and found that none work. I am still waiting for Zoloft to work, I still feel depressed most of the time, all Zoloft seems to do is make me tired. I have tried taking it at night and it makes no difference. I have been waiting for the phone call to see a psychiatrist my doctor recommended but they have no appointments available yet. So I guess if you are depressed and need to desperately talk to someone before you go crazy you have to wait till it is convenient for them.
I HAVE BEEN TAKING ZOLOFT FOR 4 YEARS AND HONESTLY THINK I AM STARTING TO GO DOWNHILL. IT STARTED TO HELP ME FEEL BETTER AFTER 8 MONTHS AND SO-SO FOR MANY YEARS BUT LATELY, VERY TIRED, MOODY, ANGRY, HOPELESS AND THAT IS AFTER INCREASING FROM 75 TO 100MG. I HAVE HARDLY ANY FAITH LEFT IN THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY ANY MORE.