Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
How Do You Know If You're Suffering From Depression and a Eating D...

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

How Do You Know If You're Suffering From Depression and a Eating Disorder?

How do you know if you're suffering from an eating disorder and depression on top of it?
I've been having a hard time lately with mood swings and eating habits are horrible. I can't sleep and my food doesn't even taste good.
Kelly,

Moodswings, change in eating habits(either increased or decreased appetite) and sleep difficulties can represent components of clinical depression(or other mood disorders such as bipolar disorder).  Other common symptoms of depression include diminished ability to concentrate/focus, loss of interest in pleasurable activities, suicidal thoughts and hoplessness to name a few.
     Regarding an eating disorder as a possibility, it is imposible for me to diagnose this type of problem based on the information presented.  However, depression and eating disorders often co-exist.  Some signs of eating disorders include binge eating(consuming large quantaties of food in a very short period of time), purging (using laxatives or inducing vomiting because of fear of gaining weight), restricting caloric intake(or excessive exercise) and a sense of losing control when eating.
     I recommend that you have an evaluation by a psychiatrist for further assesment of a possible mood and eating disorder.  Keep in mind that the information presented is for educational purposes only.  Specific concerns about your condition should be directed to your personal physician.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords: depression, eating disorder
Eating disorders can cause depression, but depression can also take away your appetite making you think you may be at the beginning of an ED. Food not tasting well and not sleeping sounds more like Depression than an ED, but you didn't go into much detail, so it's hard to tell. Go to the local Library and look at Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry. It's a book that will explain it all to you and you can match your symptoms to those on the major depressive episode list and to those on the ED list. Seeking therapeutic/medical help is always advisable. Good luck!
Thanks, I've already been to my personal doctor and he's checking all possibilities. I forgot to mention, I had a overactive thyroid when I was younger and now being 30 there's that chance, it may or may not be acting up again. I really do appreciate the advice given here and will consider it for sure. Thanks so much again!
>Regarding an eating disorder as a possibility, it is imposible >for me to diagnose this type of problem based on the >information presented.

Even if you had more info I would hope you wouldn't "diagnose" anything on a bulletin board without meeting or seeing a client. Saying something "sounds like" or advising one to look into options as you did initially did seems more appropriate for a written forum.