Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
How long for Zoloft to work

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

How long for Zoloft to work
I was just diagnosed a few days ago with panic disorder.  My Dr put me on Zoloft.  I have been taking it for 4 days now, 25 mg and will be going up to 50 mg in a few days.  I was wondering how long it takes for the medicine to work.  I haven't been able to work, and am wondering when I will be able to go back to work.  It seems like I only have panic attacks in the morning now, right after I take the Zoloft.  Then by afternoon I feel better.  I can't seem to get my mind off worrying about having attacks though, which makes it harder not to have them.  SO, I guess my question is, how long will it take the Zoloft to work, so that I can go out in public again?

Thanks;
Kevin
It varies quite a bit, but in most cases you will have a maximum effect in about 3-4 weeks, but you might get a sufficient effect to go out at any time. It would be best if you could be in a counseling situation now so you get to understand what these panic attacks mean..it will help you master them and get over the fear of them.
I am feeling better today.  I also have been going onto a forum for people with panic disorder and it has helped me out a lot.  It is good to see that I am not alone.  I also have learned that avoiding people and places, for fear of having a panic attack is actually the wrong thing to do, cause it can lead to agrophobia.  So, I am just gonna have to deal with these panic attacks when I'm out, even though it is difficult.

Thanks for your help;
Kevin