Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
How to encourage someone with depression to get help.

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

I have read that a big obstacle in getting treatment for depression is the depressive admitting that she has a problem.  She has been trying to make me the focus of attention when she is displaying a majority of the warning signs and I fear that she is not getting any help for this matter.  How can I make her explore the possibility that she is clinically depressed.  She has been feeling this way since the end of the summer and without treatment, I fear that she will only get worse.  What can I do?
Mark,

Many people with depression never seek treatment.  One of the many reasons is that they do not identify it as a treatable illness and often consider it as a personal weakness.  Education about depression is very helpful to bring people in for treatment.  This forum is one such opportunity.  Express your concerns in a supportive manner and encourage her to educate herself further about depression.  She will ultimately decide whether or not she wants help.  You can petition the courts if you feel the person is at significant risk of harming herself.
Good luck.  Hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords: Depression
I have suffered from depression for 10 years now, but am successfully treated with medication.
I have been told that my type ofe depression is biologicla, in other words, I have no control over it, it's a chemical imbalance in my brain.
The point is that depression, like many illnesses should be treated as such.  If you have diabetes, you take insulin to live. The same holds true for many illnesses.
Dont think of it as a stigma, once the depression is relieved, life becomes great and fun again.
I have dealt with the associated stigmas, extreme ups and downs, and dont even think about it any more.  I take two pills a day, and thats my treatment for my depression, most likely in my case for life, others turn out ok after a few months.

Its an illness not a mental disorder.