Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Hypothryoidism

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Hypothryoidism

My mother has been diagnoised with a hypothryoid.  Unfortunately she was diagnosed a little to late (like 15 yrs.).  She is 'hearing voices' and claims that her thyroid condition has nothing to do with the voices.  I can find articles that alude to this fact, and only in sever cases and then nothing is really explained.  She refuses to take her meds.  I have located information on how an underactive thyroid can affect the reset of the body.  I am hoping that if I can pin point this one area as being connected to the thyroid, along with the article that describe what is happening to the rest of her body, that maybe she will take her medication.  

Any place I can look for the 'voices' as being part of the  underactive thyroid?
Dear Concerned Daughter,
Severe cases of hypothyroidism, so-called myxedema madness may cause hallucinations. Though your mother's hallucinations coincide with her hypothyroidism, hearing "voices" may have a different etiology, especially to the elderly.

Treatment strategies, aside from thyroid medications, include adding low-dose antipsychotic medications.

I advise a consultation with a mental health professional who could help your mother understand her illness as well as to determine if there are any other conditions causing her "voices".

Sincerely,

HFHS MD - RG
I have a Merck Manual handy here and this is what it says: "...the expression is dull; there is puffiness and periorbital swelling caused by infiltration with the mucopolysaccharides, hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate; eyelids droop because of decreased adrenergic drive; hair is sparse, coarse, and dry; and the skin is coarse, dry, scaly, and thick.  Patients are forgetful, and show other evidence of intellectual impairment with a gradual change in personality.  There may be frank psycosis ("myxedema madness").

I'm not a professional so I don't know if have psycosis means you will hear voices.  I am a thyroid cancer patient and have undergone several stints of being severly hypothyroid (but only for short periods).  I've never heard voices but I can say that I've gotten pretty wacky!!!  Problem is that the hypothyroid person doesn't realize how crazy they are until the problem is corrected and they they can say "oh, yes I really wasn't acting right."
Christine