This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.
I AM A 35 YR OLD MALE WITH DEPRESSION AND SOME SYMPTOMS OF BI-POLAR AND OCD. MY WORST PROBLEM IS MY TENDANCY TO CONTINUALLY GO OVER AND OVER AN EVENT THAT UPSETS ME. LATER I WILL GET UPSET ALL OVER AGAIN IF I BECOME FRUSTRATED. I CAN'T SEEM TO GET PAST THINGS THAT UPSET ME. "GET OVER IT" IS A DREAM FOR ME. I PLAY OUT EVERY POSSIBLE SCENARIO IN AN EVENT THAT BOTHERS ME. IF I AM HAVING A BAD DAY I CAN REACH THE POINT OF SCREAMING AND LASHING OUT AT INANTIMATE OBJECTS. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HURT ANYONE , BUT IF SOMEONE WERE TO TICK ME OFF WHILE I WAS IN THAT STATE( USUALLY A FEW MINUTES TO A COUPLE OF HOURS) I MIGHT! I CURSE GOD AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS SOMETIMES. I TAKE PROZAC AND IT HELPS, BUT IF THINGS JUST KEEP GOING WRONG I WILL LOSE IT AND IT SEEMS TO BE ABOUT ONCE EVERY TWO TO THREE WEEKS. I AM NEVER GOING TO HAVE CHILDREN AS I FEEL EVEN THE CHANCE OF PASSING THIS ON IS TOO MUCH AND WOULD BE IRRESPONSIBLE. I ALSO HAVE TROUBLE CONCENTRATING SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK. MENTAL DISORDERS SEEM TO RUN IN MY FAMILY ON BOTH SIDES. MY GRANDMA IS A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR,OCD SUFFERER, AND HAS A DECIDEDLY MEAN SPIRIT SOMETIMES. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY OFFER!
Dear Dean G,
From the information that you provided, it seems like you may be having a mood disorder- Major depressive disorder or Bipolar disorder. For more information on these disorders, you can refer to answer posted on 4/ 12/ 99 ( regarding depression, mood disorder or anxiety ) by HFHS M.D.- HG. Both these conditions can be adequately treated by a combination of medications and psychotherapy.
Certain mental disorders run in families. A genetic component plays a more significant role in transmitting bipolar disorder than in major depressive disorder. Family studies have found that first- degree relatives of bipolar disorder patients are 8 to 18 times more likely to have bipolar disorder and 2 to 10 times more likely to have major depressive disorder. If one parent has Bipolar disorder, there is a 25% chance that any child has a mood disorder. If both parents have Bipolar disorder, there is a 50 to 75% chance that their child has a mood disorder.
I hope this information is helpful to you. I would recommend you to consult a Mental Health Professional for a comprehensive evaluation. For scheduling an appointment at Henry Ford Hospital Behavioral Services clinic, you can call (248) 689-7476. This information is provided for educational purposes only and should not be replaced by evaluation with a physician.
Key words: Bipolar disorder
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.