Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
INABILITY TO LET THINGS GO

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

INABILITY TO LET THINGS GO

I AM A 35 YR OLD MALE WITH DEPRESSION AND SOME SYMPTOMS OF BI-POLAR AND OCD. MY WORST PROBLEM IS MY TENDANCY TO CONTINUALLY GO OVER AND OVER AN EVENT THAT UPSETS ME. LATER I WILL GET UPSET ALL OVER AGAIN IF I BECOME FRUSTRATED. I CAN'T SEEM TO GET PAST THINGS THAT UPSET ME. "GET OVER IT" IS A DREAM FOR ME. I PLAY OUT EVERY POSSIBLE SCENARIO IN AN EVENT THAT BOTHERS ME. IF I AM HAVING A BAD DAY I CAN REACH THE POINT OF SCREAMING AND LASHING OUT AT INANTIMATE OBJECTS. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HURT ANYONE , BUT IF SOMEONE WERE TO TICK ME OFF WHILE I WAS IN THAT STATE( USUALLY A FEW MINUTES TO A COUPLE OF HOURS) I MIGHT! I CURSE GOD AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS SOMETIMES. I TAKE PROZAC AND IT HELPS, BUT IF THINGS JUST KEEP GOING WRONG I WILL LOSE IT AND IT SEEMS TO BE ABOUT ONCE EVERY TWO TO THREE WEEKS. I AM NEVER GOING TO HAVE CHILDREN AS I FEEL EVEN THE CHANCE OF PASSING THIS ON IS TOO MUCH AND WOULD BE IRRESPONSIBLE. I ALSO HAVE TROUBLE CONCENTRATING SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK. MENTAL DISORDERS SEEM TO RUN IN MY FAMILY ON BOTH SIDES. MY GRANDMA IS A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR,OCD SUFFERER, AND HAS A DECIDEDLY MEAN SPIRIT SOMETIMES. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY OFFER!

_
Dear Dean G,
                       From the information  that you provided, it seems like you may be having a mood disorder- Major depressive disorder or  Bipolar disorder. For more information on these disorders, you can refer to answer posted on  4/ 12/ 99 ( regarding  depression, mood disorder or anxiety ) by  HFHS M.D.- HG. Both these conditions can be adequately treated by a combination of medications and psychotherapy.
                       Certain mental disorders run in families. A  genetic component plays a more significant role in transmitting   bipolar disorder than in major depressive disorder. Family studies have found that  first- degree relatives of  bipolar disorder  patients are 8 to 18 times more likely to have  bipolar disorder  and 2 to 10 times more likely to have major depressive disorder. If one parent has Bipolar disorder, there is a 25% chance that any child has a  mood disorder. If both parents have Bipolar disorder, there is a  50 to 75% chance that their child has a mood disorder.
                         I hope this information is helpful to you. I would recommend you to consult a Mental Health Professional for a comprehensive evaluation. For scheduling an appointment at  Henry Ford Hospital Behavioral Services clinic, you can call (248) 689-7476. This information is provided for educational purposes only and should not be replaced by evaluation with a physician.
Key words: Bipolar disorder