Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Is jaw chewing and grimmicing normal when stopping Celexa

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

1 took serequel 50-100 mg on and off for 10 years and have been on celexa steady for the last 10 years. Last year I started waking up with tongue protrusion and grimmicing at night. My doc took me off serequel and haven't had any problems like that for the last year. 3 months ago I stopped celexa to get a septoplasty. The only thing i noticed is that when I got stressed my jaw would continually push open and I continued to grind my teeth long after the med was stopped. I stopped celexa again for throat surgery and this time when I stopped my jaw started pushing down and forward and I started making the full blown frowning of grimmicing. I also sometimes make a chewing motion. gets worse when i'm under stress and all goes away when I'm just getting ready to dose of to sleep. My doc says its impossible to get TD on such a small dose of serequel and he thinks I should go back on celexa as soon as this surgery stuff heals up enough. My question is...Are these type of symptoms possible as withdrawl (withdrawal) syptoms (symptoms)? I've stopped these meds before in the past and never had anything like this happen.
These are not likely withdrawal symptoms and if they go away when you are back on some medication, that may be the end of it...but if it continues, you should get a neurological examination.
They don't sound like normal withdrawal symptoms.
If not from the med then maybe ?anxiety-related.
I would also ask the expert on the dental health expert forum (or some other related forum) about the jaw stuff.  The talk about surgery seems to raise red flags for me and I would also be looking at that as a potential source.

Could you have ?TMJ?  A dentist should be able to tell what is going on.
My own experience is withdrawal can cause anything, but one of the side effects of being on Celexa is jaw clenching and other muscle tension.  Odd it happens when you quit; happens to me when I'm on it.