Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Klonipin starting dose for panic

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Klonipin starting dose for panic

My wife has been struggling with palpitations, anxiety, dizziness, migraine, nausea and some vertigo.  Her (well-known and respected) doctor is starting treatment for the panic component with Klonipin (klonopin).  But the first prescription is for 1mg twice a day.  The first pill put her down in the chair with slurred speech, impaired memory and physical movement and all the signs of a serious drunk.  Looking around the (dangerous) internet I see starting doses at .25 and .5, not 2 mg.  

I am not able to reach the doctor for the next few days. Should I be concerned if the prescription was ordered/delivered properly?  Is it possible he's looking for a quick indication of efficacy?  Should I have my wife back it down by half until she can see the doctor - or does that wreck his protocol?

Thanks!
You know from direct observation that that dose is too much for her..it is suppose to be enough to take the edge off, not make her comatose, so lowering the dose and telling the doctor when you can is what is indicated here...every one is sensitive to this medication in their own way so you need to titrate and find the right dose.