Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Lamictal and extreme muscle burn and edema
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lamictal and extreme muscle burn and edema

Dear Dr. Gould,
I have been through the mill.  As of today, I have been off Lamictal for depression ( no other psychotropic) for 3 1/2 weeks.  I ended up in the emergency room due to muscle cramps and fluid that has been going on for about 5 months, it just became unbearable.  The internist verified that all was well, except for low salt/ potassium ,level 3.2. Not that low.  I had been on the lowest dose of an potassium sparing diuretic to combat the 16 pounds of fluid that accumulated on the brief time on lamictal ( weaned off zoloft during that time) My Psychiatrist refuses to even consider the Lamictal as a cause.  I did talk to the manufacturer and they confirmed their is a low incidence of edema and muscle pain.  Nevertheless after stopping all prescriptions the edema is slowly going away and the muscle pain is still there, but a tiny bit better.  I later find out the my Dr. is a spokes person for the drug manuf. and that is why she went off the charts in a manic state about the non-side effect.  

So, how long does they edema last?  It is mainly in my legs and hips, stomach has almost gone completely.  Have you heard of others having this problem and can you give any advice.  The good news is my memory has returned along with my balance and many other things that my Dr. refused to acknowledge.

Thanks for the help.
E