Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Lexapro Weight gain

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Lexapro Weight gain

I posted a while ago about performance anxiety and lexapro. I have recently been reading alot about people gaining alot of weight from this drug. I used to be overweight and this is a big problem if it will cause this. I was wondering if this is a norm or if pretty much everyone gains weight from it. It sucks if it does cause it is really helping with my anxiety. Also how long before the weight starts to go on... I've been on for about 2 weeks and go to the gyma about 5 to lift weights and run. Will this help or is there no hope in stopping the weight gain?
Weight gain is not inevitable, and probably occurs in less than 30% of cases. Its mostly from increased appetite, so if you exercise and use portion control, you should not have a problem.
Some people who take Lexapro may experience feelings of lethargy, which can sometimes prevent them from wanting to go exercise, and hence experience weightgain. If you keep up with your normal exercise routine, possibly even enhance it, you shouldn't experience weight gain. There are no chemical substances in Lexapro that have been tied with anything related to weight.
Hey tamyb..where are you??  I was wondering how you are doing...the other thread is closed and they are not accepting any new comments..I hope you find this thread.....

I have been on Lexapro since November.  5 mg starting out and went to 10 mg middle of January.  I have gained 10 pounds in a month....I exercise like normal....30 min tread mill and 30 min weights interspersed with cardio.  I don't eat white breads ( really , don't eat bread )sugars.  I haven't varied my diet too much....had a birthday in there and a potluck, but otherwise diet has been the same as before.  I lost 20 pounds over a year ago and kept it off until a month ago.   Help. I'm about to have slim fast three times a day and go to working out 2 hours a day to see if that does anything.
I was able to maintain a 40 lb weight loss for over two years. After only one month on Lexapro I gained 4 pounds. That was enough for me. I stopped the Lexapro and will have to look into some other drug therapy.
I'm glad to find others who have gained weight on Lexapro. I was beginning to think it was all in my head! I lost 25 pounds over a year ago then went on Lexapro. Have gained it all back without drastic changes to diet. I'm going to look for something else!
lexapro def. makes you gain weight I have been taking it for 1 year I started at 95 pounds now I weigh 125 It really makes you feel like you have no energy too but I guess it effects everyone diffrent
Hi everyone, I have just started on Lexapro today, 10mg, and have been reading allyour comments about weight gain.  I am
already 100 pounds overweight which makes me very depressed as it is, if this is something that is going to make me put on more weight, then it really isn't going to help me is it?  Is there anyone else that was already overweight and then started on Lexapro , and how did you go?  Please help...
I've been reading all the problems with getting off Lexapro, but let me tell you all the problems I had while on Lexapro.  I have been on Lexapro 10 mg daily for 2 1/2 years.  It was prescribed because of anxiety I was experiencing after a car wreck.  The effects Lexapro had on me came on so gradually that I hardly noticed them for awhile.  And my doctor did not tell me anything about any of these side effects.  I gained 60 pounds in that 2 1/2 years without a change in my eating habits and exercise.  I have not been able to control my blood sugar and had to go on Insulin.  I did not "feel" anything while I was on Lexapro.  I really had no emotions.  It was like nothing mattered.  I had no interest in anything.  I could not concentrate.  I was falling asleep while reading, working at my desk, in meetings, watching TV.  I noticed that when I fell asleep during the day, it was sudden and involuntary.  I did not feel sleepy and doze.  I would be typing and the next thing I knew, I was dreaming.  I had quit having (or maybe just remembering) any dreams at night.  I slept a lot but always felt tired.  I decided that Lexapro was keeping me from going into REM sleep stages at night and that my body forced them on me during the day.  I was contemplating going to a sleep clinic.  I read that I needed to be off any antidepressants before participating in a sleep clinic so I quit taking the Lexapro.  I did not have any ill effects from stopping the Lexapro.  I only had ill effects while taking the horrible stuff.  I didn't reduce the dose or gradually wean myself off it.  I just quit, cold turkey.  Within 4 days, I was sleeping and dreaming at night, waking up feeling refreshed.  I no longer fell asleep during the day.  I am awake and alert with emotions and interest in doing things.  I am productive again.  I lost 10 pounds in one week without any changes except stopping the Lexapro.  I am getting my blood sugar under control again.  Now maybe I didn't have any ill effects from stopping the Lexapro because maybe I never really needed it.  But at any rate, I will never take it again.  Anyone having the problems I was having, quit taking the stuff and see how much better you feel.
I started tapering off but after 1 week I quit altogether.  Its now been a week and I've already lost 6 pounds.  No more Lexapro for me ever again!
My daughter started Lexapro last April at age 12.  She gained 50 lbs. by February and was still having "bad feelings".  I asked her Dr. to prescribe another med, but we had to taper her off the Lexapro.  She is now on Wellbutrin, having more positive thoughts, and is not ravenous like she was with the Lexapro.  She's been on the Wellbutrin for 4 weeks now.  Hallelujah!  This poor kid had issues with self-esteem before the Lexapro.  The weight issues only added to her problems.  Thank heaven we changed meds!
In January 2007 it will be 2 yrs. that I'm taking 10mg. of Lexapro. I started taking it for menopauasal symptoms because I didn't want to take synthetic hormones, I had uterine fibroids. Since I started taking Lexapro, my hot flashes and depression have disappeared however I seemed to have gone from 132 which is my high to a whopping 165, so now I have no clothes that fit, and am now depressed about the way I look. There has been no change in my diet or exercise habits, sure it could be blamed on menopause, but I find it just a bit too coincidental that I gained the weight when I started the Lexapro. I have recently found a doctor who does bio-identical hormone inserts, I told him that I really want to get off the Lexapro, but he told me to wait until he gets my hormones balanced, so that I don't crash and burn. I'm afraid the Lexapro is screwing up my hormone levels, any thoughts on that? I can't afford a new wardrobe. The only other Lexapro side effect I have are bad vivid dreams, very exhausting. Thanks for your feedback. Holly
Update.....Since my daughter started the Wellbutrin (5 weeks ago), she's lost 10 of the 50 lbs. she gained from taking Lexapro.  She is also feeling better about herself.  I truly believe that Lexapro caused the weight gain.  It's hard enough to be turning 13, with all the issues of puberty, braces acne...she sure didn't need to pile on the pounds,too.  

Take it easy.  

I quit smoking Nov 04 and was in a deep depression by Aug 05.  Up until then I had been managing my weight and was maintaining it, post quitting smoking, with exercise.  I started on Lexapro in Aug 05 and have gained more than 10 lbs since then.  That's not the hard part.  The hard part is that I can't seem to take any of the weight off.  It doesn't matter how much I exercise or how little I eat.  The scale doesn't budge.  I hadn't thought of it being related to Lexapro but now I'm reconsidering.  Any suggestions out there?
I live in Alaska and had gained 30 lbs. After i started taking lexapro i lost ten pounds. My side effects have been sweating and vivid dreams. The good thing for me is that i have been able to sleep now better than i ever did before. The dreams are annoying, but at least i am sleeping. That is the one thing keeping me from stopping taking it. I like the idea of getting off of it, but whenever i forget to take it, i can't sleep. so i feel pretty stuck. I lost weight while taking it, and lost my appetite in the beginning, so i am not sure i want to stop.
Hi, I've been on Lexapro for appx. 6 months now and have gained appx. 25 lbs.  Proir to being on Lexapro, I was on Paxil for anxiety and depression which I also gained weight on.  Once I slowly decreased my dosage of Paxil (b/c of all the horrible side effects) to eventually nothing, I was in pure hell after being off of it for a month!  My mind was constantly racing, mostly with negative thoughts.  I couldn't function or think clearly.  If I were to have a drink or two, then I would start to go over to the dark side and I wanted to kill myself.  The only good thing was that I lost 20 lbs in a 2 month period.  I ended up going to the emergency room and they gave me some kind of a temporary anxiety pill that works for only six hours.  Later I went to my doctor and he prescribed Clonazepam.  I started to take this and it did help me feel better but because it's addicting, you
New here. I have really enjoyed this site first of all.
So, I have been on lexapro for almost two years now. After having major night sweats, nightmares and not giving a **** about things in my life, I decided to see my Dr. to wean myself off of lexapro (10mg). I also found out today that I have gained 15 pounds on this medication, which I was told different in the beginning. My Dr. told me today that the weight gain study was only done on people who had been on the medicine for two months...barely even enough time for it to start working. Starting, tonight I am starting to decrease my lexapro. I am terrified because I don't want the anxiety and panic attacks to come back. If they come back, I can go back to my previous dose and take it slower. My Dr. is going to walk me through the next 8 weeks as long as I need him...even if it is everyday. Lexapro helped me out alot, but harmed me mostly!  I'm glad I found this site and the supportive people here that can relate.
Thanks!
Thanks for posting your experiences here. I've been on Lex (5mg) for about 2 months, and I've been so tired that it's hazardous to drive. I recently tried to go off it after trying taking it at night (which did not help) and was quickly slammed with depressive symptoms. I assumed that I was "feeling fat" because I was getting depressed again, except that all my clothse agree with me! This is the last thing I need on top of managing my illness! As my boyfriend just pointed out the delima here is: is it better to be depressed, or fat and tired? Managing depression is a hard balance between taking personal responsibility and finding the right kind of help.

SO TRUE!  I've got to tell you all, I'm thrilled, in a way, to have found this site: it makes me feel much better about my own Lexapro weight gain.  I was severely depressed and anorexic a year ago, and my doctor prescribed Lexapro OF COURSE without letting me know that weight gain was a possibility.  A little weight gain may have been appropriate at that time, but I've now gained 27 pounds in the eight months that I've been on the medication.  For a person whose depression was very much centered around self-image and weight, this is a CATASTROPHE.  I don't want to be ultra-thin again, but certainly never want to feel ashamed of the way I look or of my eating choices -- I went from having a very supressed appetite to feeling constantly hungry, even to the extent that I would wait until others were not present to EAT MORE!  I tried constantly to resist this impulse by dieting and exercising like crazy (daily spinning classes), to no avail.
I am a graduate student at a high-pressure university, am the youngest among my cohort, and am subject to a LOT of social stress daily, with teaching and other modes of public appearance frequently required.  I'm convinced that the anxiety of appearing to have gained so much weight since the school year started is almost as bad as the original anxiety that started this problem in the first place!  
I decided to quit Lexapro a month ago, and tapered off my dosage over a few weeks.  Now I haven't taken it at all in 6 days.  I've been feeling a little dizzy and had a few strange dreams, but no drastic withdrawal symptoms.  Hopefully my metabolism will get back to normal soon and I will be able to feel better about myself, in more ways than one.
Wish me luck!
I too have gained 10 pounds from the Lexapro. I haven't changed anything. I exercise like crazy. I am going to stop taking it today.
OMG!!! I just read all of these and now im freaking out. I started Lexapro 10mg about a month ago and have gained 15 pounds! JUST IN A MONTH! I looked up online if the weight gain had to do with the the Lexapro. I went from 115 at 5'5 to 130. Yesterday i had my Psych appt. and they INCREASED MY DOSE to 20mg!!!!!!!!! I told them i was now sleeping my days away and that i have no motivation for anything. I told them about my weight gain. All they had to say was yeah that happens but since youre not getting happier we're upping it!!!!! HOW COULD I GET HAPPIER WHEN IT GIVES ME NO MOTIVATION AND IM A FAT LARDO! Stupid. WHAT SHOULD I TRY!!?!?! Im severly depressed and im scared the "natural antidepressents" wouldnt work. Any advice? PLEASE EMAIL ME ***@****
I am 20 years old amd I started taking Lexapro about a year and a half ago. I am 5'5 feet tall, and used to be 120 lbs. Since then, I have NOT changed my diet in any way, still exercised, and yet have gotten up to 145 lbs. I look awful, and have lower self-esteem than I have ever had. People in my life cannot help but have noticed the weight gain and are worried and make comments to me about my weight, and I feel really self-concious all the time.
I was so happy to finally listen to my inner-conscience (I knew that it wasn't me that was eating too much, it wasn't my fault) and look up side effects such as weight gain from Lexapro on the internet. I am so relieved! All of you have gone through a similiar experience.
I can finally stop blaming myself. I quit taking my Lexapro today! I will update soon. Thanks.
I have been taking Lexapro for about 6 months.  About 2 months after taking it I started gaining a pound a week.  I thought it was because of the way I was eating so I started sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet, got a personal trainer, went to the gym for 1-2 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. I still gained a pound a week!! Now I am 20 pounds heavier and dont fit into any of my clothes! I have been getting off of it for the last 2 weeks and should be off completely in the next couple days.  How long did it take everyone to loose the weight after they stopped?
WOW and I thought it was all in my head.  I have been on ad's since 1994.  Started on zoloft and switched to Lexapro 2 years ago.  Since starting lexapro I have gone from 150lbs to 180lbs.  I am 5'101/2" very active I play competitive tennis,run 4 plus miles 5 days a week and weight/condition train 2-3x per week!  I eat well.  The weight has slowly crept up on me.  I do attribute some of the gain to gaining muscle from weight training since I have lost inches yet I decided to wean myself off the Lexapro over the last 2 months from 20mg to 2.5mg and not only do I feel better,less anxious(interesting since one of the reasons I was on it was for anxiety!)I have feelings which I actually FEEL, emotions which I react to instead of feeling numb! At first I thought I was getting withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms then realized that I am feeling human again and it is okay to feel!!!!  My husband was wondering why I was more vocal and emotional!  It is the real me emerging.  After 12 years on those things I feel like me.  My depression was situational in nature and I no longer am in that situation so off I go... I do have klonopin if needed for anxiety but have not used it.  As far as the weight I feel less bloated and my clothes fit better.  If one needs meds for depression be cautious about the side effects.  Sexually I have way more feeling where it is needed then when I was on a high dose of lexapro, I only had dull sensations.  I am almost completely off the Lexapro and hope to stay off for good.  Good luck to you all!
Has anyone here gone off of lexapro without it being hellish?  If so, how did you do it?   If withdrawals are inevitable, how long do they last?
thanks for all replies
I too have experienced significant weight gain while being on lexapro.  I'm a 25 year old male, in the military who is active everyday. I was prescribed Lexapro to combat some PTSD after my tour of duty in Afghanistan.  There is simply nothing I can do to keep the weight off, it just seems to pile on.  We accomplish physical training three days a week, for roughly two hours.  My diet has only consisted of fish, chicken, wheat breads and water.  In a seven month period, i had gone from a healthy 160 pounds, to now pushing 190.  I am now considered "overweight" by the military and have to attend special courses, thus demotivating me even further.

What has made it worse is my superiors have begun to comment on my weight gain.  I've had to purchase new uniforms, which in a year will be too big to wear anyway.  I spend most of my time on shift (Midnight to noon, while getting 8 hrs of sleep at home between shifts) wanting to fall back asleep.  The sweating is worse then before as well.  It doesn't help that I live in a desert climate either and wake up just soaked.

I'm quite convinced that something better could have been done about my situation.  The sexual side effects haven't helped one bit either.  No 25 yr old male in their right mind should be taking ED medication with a very healthy and attractive person at their side
Oh my God I am so glad I found this site!!  I have been on Lexapro for 2 years on and off.  I gained 50 lbs on top of my already 60 lbs over weight.  I was so depressed I couldn't take it any more, I switched doctors and he told me if a person is prone to gain weight that Lexapro will make sure it happens no matter what we do to loose it.  He put me on Wellbutrin and after two weeks I can finally feel that I am full when I eat and I feel happy and finally have some get up and go.  The major thing with me was that when I ate I never felt full. Like my brain never got the signal you know the one we are supposed to get after 15 minutes of eating.  I usually got that feeling some where around 2 hours after eating which made no sense and I was like Thanksgiving full, it was crazy!!!  Today for the first time in 2 years I ate only a small amount and I felt so full I couldn't stand to eat another bite.  It was wonderful!
I am hopeing this is a begining of weight loss for me!  Has anyone else noticed that same affect with the not feeling full?
Best wishes for everyone on the board!
Any updates on loosing any of the weight after getting off of the pills?
I started taking Lexapro in February for anxiety I take 10mg per day and I now realize the weight gain is not in my head I had a Doctor appt yesterday 5/15/06 and according to their scales I have gained 13lbs, I am extremely depressed about this I already have low self esteem so this did not help. My doctor then gave me effexor which I heard does the same thing. I am quitting the lexapro today and weening myself off, I am also NOT going to try the effexor for fear of the same thing!!! I am just hoping the anxiety does not come back!!! Does ANYONE know how long it takes before the weight somes off??? Please HELP!!!! Also is there any anti depressant that doesnt cause weight gain?  Also I needed to add I excercise everyaday and my habits have not changed. Is it really your metabolism affected?

I read everyones posts and its so sad, NOONE has an answer to losing the weight on lexapro,.
I was on it since july 05, i lost 4 lbs in the start then as the months went by i gained 20 lbs! i have been thin my whole life! im a cow now i hate it! i work out it doesnt leave. I was told it SLOWLY leaves the body. dont believe doctors, they all say since we are happier inside we eat more. NO we ate the same, just that pill lexapro slowed us down.NOW if anyone has stopped lexapro, please tell us how long did it take till you felt your old self again?

UPDATE: I have been off of Lexapro since 4/26/06. I have only lost "the bloat" and 7 lbs. I have been working out and watching my diet excessively. My boyfriend and friends say that they notice a difference-like my hips, thighs, butt, and legs are smaller. I will update more in a couple of weeks.
I have been on Lexapro for about a year and a half. I have gained close to 20 pounds and it's still climbing. I was very concerned about weight gain and my doctor told me Lexapro was "weight neutral". I initially lost a few pounds and then a slow but steady climb. I try dieting and exercise but do not loose any significant weight which leaves me no incentive to continue trying. I am 5'2 and now about 145 pounds which of course really depresses me. I have gone from a size 6 to a 8 to a 10 and now some 12's!!!!I also feel like **** dragging this extra weight around on a petite frame. I am going to taper off under the guidance of my doctor who will be getting a phone call tomorrow!! I am so glad for this site and to know I am not alone. I have blamed: my job, menopausal symptoms, and laziness. Only recently after trying to loose the weight and not being successful have I wondered if it was the Lexapro. I wonder if decreasing the dosage from 5 mg to 2.5 would help. Anyone try that?? Like lower dose, lower weight??? Glad to know you are all here.
Has anyone tried Wellburtin or know someone on it.  After getting off lexapro I have become very weepy and stress out very easily.  I  was planning on staying of meds so i could loose the weight but I have read wellbutrin doesnt cause weight gain. Anyone hear anything about it?
Please check out this website to understand and get some realistic advice for controlling your weight without disrupting your current medication treatment.

http://www.theroadback.org/workbook.htm

I am a lousy typist so incase I have made an error just do a search for the title of the book published there. The Road Back
                                    I hope you find your answerw
That is interesting has anyone tried taking Omega 3 and CLA softgels?  Does it really work?
I was on wellbutrin and i gained weight .  Ive also tried zoloft,paxil, and something crazy that made the road move as i drove (crazy).  With the exception to the road moving meds i gained weight with all including LEXAPRO!  I probaly would have gained with the road moving stuff but one dose did it for me on that.  lol If you want to feel good on the inside you almost have to give up looking good on the outside.  Good luck! For now im just glad i feel better about my thoughts, the weight will have to wait!
I read all of these comments, which I think they are great.  I am also on Lexapro right now and at the beginning I felt great, and I also lost a few pounds.  Now I gain 10 pounds and I always been thin, I am afraid every day I step on the scale it is a couple of pounds more.  Also, I sweat all the time, and my doctor said it is pre-menopause, it is not hot flashes it is just sweating, bad dreams, even my head feels big, don't know how to explain it.  It seems this medecine works great at the beginning and after a few months all of these side effects start showing.  I don't know if it happened to any of you, but my doctor is not listening, every time I bring these symptoms up, she makes me feel like it is all in my head.  I want to thank you for posting yor comments, I feel I am not crazy now.  Doctors should listen to their patients and not assume.  I want to quit this medecine, but I don't know if i should quit cold turkey or little by little.  I am switching doctors.
thanks
I have been on lexapro 10 mg for over 3 years.  I took it for a year or so then I stopped because I thought I didn't need it anymore.  i had to stop taking it gradually.  I got major withdrawals - headaches, mausea, dizzyness, and these weird zaps that feel like my eyeballs are rolling abck in my head for a second, sort of like a shiver but you don't really move.  Anyways after a couple of months I started having alot of ups and downs and started taking it again.  I have been on it ever since, for about 2 years.  My side effects are insomnia starting at 3-4 am, vivid dreams and night sweats.  I noticed if I take it in the morning I am way less lethargic than I am if I take it at night.  If I take it at night I would be on the couch all day or need a nap after lunch and I mean really bad, like unable to function.  The doctor told me this drug does not cause weight gain and she said she had never heard about the zaps, which other people have told me about so I know it is true.  I have gained 25 - 30 pounds since I have been on it.  I weighed about 137 when I started taking it.  I haven't really changed my life accept I stopped smoking a year before I started the lexapro.  I have tried everything to lose the weight, going to the gym and doing 1 hour of serious cardio plus weights 4x per week didn't do anything watching what I eat and counting calories doesn't do anything, I went to nutritionist, she said my diet is pretty clean.  I think I am going to stop taking it again and see what happens.  I know i have to take 1 half a tab for a week and then 1/4 tab for a week and then 1/4 tab evey other day for a week but I know I am going to get really sick...
I've been on 10 mg of Lexapro for over 7 months now and I haven't gained any weight. I do get aweful headaches were I have to lay down everyday it seems like.
Hi, I am new to this thread. I have read it before but never posted a comment. I have been on Lexapro on and off for about 3 years. I also take Wellbutrin. Last year I stopped the Lexapro for awhile and just was on the Wellbutrin. Yeah, I lost about 30 lbs, I was excersisng too but I think alot of it was not taking the Lexapro. I was back on it for about 9 months. I  gained some back. I still excersise but it seems to just not come off. I don't get it..I don't know about anyone else but does it seem like you almost feel like you are retaining water? Like you seem kind of bloated all the time when you are on it? I love feeling good when I am on it (mentally) but does it outweigh the other? I would love to find something else to take that didn't have the weight gain side effect. I have been off for awhile again..still get some side effect feelings..room shifting, being a bit dizzy. I am starting to feel a bit out of control again...Looking around my house and thinking.."It is way to cluttered...where do I start..." which, I know it doesn't look any different than it did a month ago. I am a bit moody and my patience is getting short again. I am sooo trying to control it. I am going to try some B complex and some natural things and see if it helps. If not, I will go back on it or something else, it is not worth it to me to be a crazy lady...my husband and kids will pay the price and that isn't fair. I hope I can find something that doesn't make me gain weight so easily but if not, I guess it is what it is....
Hi, I just posted a thread but I have to tell you that you are the first person I know that has confirmed what I was feeling about 5 years ago. I got my neck hurt and I think it messed up my chemical balance. It was almost IMMEDIATE that I got totally depressed and anxious. I thought I was dying. ANYWAYS..when you said you would get like little shivers and then kind of like your eyes would roll back for a minute and you just sat there..I totally know what you feel. I had that happen BEFORE I got on anything. The day I hurt my neck...Almost like I was in withdrawl (withdrawal), but never took anything. Thats why I believe that I had a sever chemical change. I still have the shivers when I wean myself, but not that bad. Wow, now I know that I am not crazy!
I have been on Lexapro for a year, and have gained 30 lbs.  It will make you gain weight, whatever the cause.  My husband has also been on it and has gained weight--he is one of those skinny people who has struggled to gain, with no success--yet he has gained on Lexapro.  Don't get me wrong, it has helped my depression and anxiety tremendously, and I have decided that living free of that is worth the extra weight.  But be aware, I know about 5 others who have taken it, and every one of them had significant weight gain.
Look up "Gwen Olsen" on youtube or google video.
I have been taking lexapro for about 4-5 months now and I have gained 10-15 lbs.  I have been on the treadmill everynight for 45 mins and using the ab lounger also.  I was getting frustrated wondering why I was not losing any weight until I started reading this forum.  I would like thank everyone who wrote here.  I now know what's my problem.  THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
I also could figure out what was wrong with me because I do not want my husband to touch me in any way.  I got on this to help my relationship because I wanted to chew everyones head off but I enjoyed sex before.  Now I hate sex and my attitude is great.  I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.  What do you do!!!!!!!!!
I have been taking Lexapro for 2 years. After the first 6 months I had to be bumped up from 10 to 20mg. It helped tremendously with my anger and mood swings with little side effects..at first. I am a person blessed with height and a good metabolism. Even at 40 I had to exercise only  moderately to keep weight off. In the last year, however, it all changed. I started gaining weight-gradually but noticably. Every time I noticed a weight gain I would restrict my diet and increase my work out. It seemed to help for a week or two but then the weight would slip back on. Over the last year I have gained 20 pounds and have been unsuccessful taking any of it off for any length of time. Here's the kicker: I work out 6 days a week-faithfully. I do 1 1/2 hrs of high level cardio plus 1/2 hr of weight training. I also do a fairly decent job of watching my diet-usually keeping under 2500 calories/day. I should NOT be gaining weight-yet I am.
Along with that I have had tremendous lethargy which over time increased from just a couple of hours a day to an all-day event. Same story with my sex drive. Gradual decline over time to non-existing today.
The good news: I am starting to ween off Lexapro and in two weeks have dropped 8 pounds without restricting  my diet or increasing my workout. My lethargy is beginning to lift as well. Amazing. I have moments when I struggle with mood swings-but so far they are controllable. I'm hoping my body will start regulating my seratonin levels on its own and I can be done with these things.
Thanks for reading: hope it helps.
I have been on lexapro since i had my baby.  It has now been four years that I have been on it.  I slowly tapered off from March 2005-May 2005 then did not take lexapro for 4 months.  I started feeling bad again.  Does anyone else have obsessive scary thoughts, or it is just me.  I found books in the book store about it.  I did not have this till I tapered off and got off the medication.  I want to quit taking lexapro, but I'm scared of what happens when I taper off.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I weighed 180 pregnant and then got down to 145.  I got on lexapro and now I'm at 205.  I excercise, eat right and stay busy all the time.  I don't know what to do?  Is there anyone that is like me out there?
I got onto this forum as a more Q and A experience? but now i am a little nervous. I was just perscribed lexapro and wanted to get some general feed back. I am scared to gain weight but i herd not everyone gains weight. Right? help should I take it or not
thank u!!!!! i have been on lexapro for about 3 or 4 years now and seem to have been gaining the weight , i just thought  i would do some research and now i know why. thank u all for your comments , i am now going to ween myself off!!
I've been on celexa for 5 years or so and haven't had any problems, but my Dr. decided I should try something different only because I've been on it for so long.  He recommended lexapro, and I started taking it about 3 weeks ago.  I'm a 5'5" muscular dancer at about 122/123lbs.  In just 3 weeks, I've gained 8lbs without changing a thing about my diet or dance activity...in fact, I actually increased my workout by going to the gym 4 times a week with cardio for 30/40 min each session, but my weight won't budge.  This is NOT my body, if I had ever exercised like this before I would have been stick thin, but this weight just will not give.  I'm going back to celexa this week, not going to sit around and wait for the lbs to pile on (cause what's the point, the extra weight is MAKING me anxious and depressed anyway!)
I'm so glad to have found this forum.  I have been on Lexapro for 2 years.  Before I went on, I was the slimmest in my life--1 year after my 2nd child,at 27, I was 116 at 5'3".  After about 6 months on Lex, I noticed the weight gain.  I'm now about 2 sizes bigger than before the Lexapro.  My boyfriend was convinced it's from lack of exercize and diet but I haven't changed anything in those areas.  I will now completely wean off this horrible nightmare of a drug.  I'm also not able to concentrate while taking it--it's beginning to affect my work.  Thank you for all your feedback!!
I read somewhere that lexapro increases hepatic glucose.  That is why we gain weight.
Wow!  I am so happy, in a way, to read all of your comments.  I have been on Lexapro for a little over two years now, and I have gained a whooping 25 pounds!  I can't fit into any of my clothes, and I have not changed my diet or exercise habits.  If anything, I am eating healthier now than I was two years ago.  I had attributed the weight gain to turning 30, but now I am thinking it could definitely be the Lexapro.  A couple of months into taking it, I started feeling drowsy all of the time.  I have never been a "nap-taker," but I quickly became one.  I also experience very vivid nightmares which hinder my sleep at night.  My anxiety is gone, but so is my sex drive...
I am weening myself off starting today!  I am cutting my dosage from 10 mg. to 5 mg. per my doctor...giving it 30 days, and then I am DONE!