Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Lexapro and Weight Gain

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Lexapro and Weight Gain

I worked as a relief worker at the World Trade Center disaster and developed a case of PTSD.  After a couple of years suffering from all this I was told to use Lexapro.  It has worked but my feelings are numbed out.  Also and this is very difficult for me.  I have gained 30 pounds.  If I go off this drug will it help me lose this unwanted weight?
There are several things you can do.  Ask your doctor about decreasing the dose.  If you decide to go off the medication, be sure to go off slowly over three weeks.  Yes, that will help you with the weight gain and your feelings will not be as numb but you'll still have to deal with the tendency to use food as a way to make yourself feel better, which is the emotional eating issue.