Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Loss of oxygen

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Loss of oxygen
I am a 44 y.o. female who is a twin.  I found out later on in life that my twin sister had a loss of oxygen to her brain when we born and now she is having problems that doctors are trying to diagnose as bipolar and/or schizophrenia.  Could the loss of oxygen at birth cause these problems now?  Please advise ASAP, she is having some serious issues and the family never told her about this loss of oxygen (because our mother did not think she would be able to handle the knowledge), but I feel she needs to know.  Patiently awaiting your response.

Thanking you in advance.
There is no evidence to assosiate lack of oxygen at birth with either bipolar or schizophrenia.
Hi Sunshine.  Sorry I can't comment on the bipolar disorder - the Web Dr. would do that.  I am also a twin (30 yo) - was quite premature - also had oxygen problems.  In my and my sister's case we had fine motor control and co-ordination problems (I think therapists call it by a terrible name such as MCD (minimal cerebral dysfunction) - I think that severe lack of oxygen could result in something like cerebral palsy, we also had mild-moderate hearing problems (maybe related) but no obvious cognitive....  Anyway, best wishes for you and your sister.
Regards
Sally