Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
MRI or CT Scan?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

MRI or CT Scan?

Hello.  What is a better exam of the brain to see if a psychotic episode history is caused by something in the brain, ex. tumor etc.?  MRI or CT scan?  And why?

Thank you.
Tags: ct scan, MRI
Can I get an answer to my question?
It looks like each can pick up different things according to the below website, so both may be good to have done.

http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/11/3/195
Scans also have side-effects I wouldn't rush to have scans done unnecessarily.

What is it that you really what to know though?  Do you want to know what is causing your psychotic behavior?  What has your doctor said?
I've had scans years ago for other things and didn't have any side-effects, so I'm not worried about that.

Yes, I want to know the cause of my past psychotic episodes.  My doctor hasn't suggested these tests yet.  Nor did he suggest neuropsychological testing, but my very proactive friend insisted on it and so I had that testing done and it really only confirmed my ADD.  We've looked at other psychiatric conditions and it's not them.  We know that it has occurred from extreme stress and unexpressed emotional build-up.  I just want to make sure it's not from my past head accidents, nor a tumor, MS, etc.