Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Medication Alternatives

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Medication Alternatives

For the past several months, I have been experiencing what I believe to be symptoms of fairly severe depression.  Specifically, I have had a loss of energy, a general malaise, an inability to concentrate and make decisions, and overall feelings of fear and hopelessness.  Physically, I am having trouble sleeping and feelings of exhaustion.  I have been in counseling off and on for the past year to eighteen months.  My business has had several reverses in the past year, which while fixable, require attention and more than anything, the ability to focus on the future rather than dwelling on the past mistakes, which is what I continually find myself doing.  In addtion, I have lost a valued and trusted business partner unexpectedly over the past month.  Inuitively, I understand that I cannot expect to move my life and business forward without letting go of the past, but I am mired emotionally in worry and fear, and am currently unable to make decisions, concentrate, or summon very much optimism.  All of this has made me very ineffective both in my professional and person life.  I do not look forward to my work or life, and my relationship with my employees and more importantly my family is beginning to suffer as a result.  Fortunately, I do not have any suicidal thoughts.

I have an inability to get myself going each day, and then spend my day procrastinating, and afraid of what might happen next.  I have lost a great deal of interest in my business, and dread Monday morning.  This is out of character on all levels, but it has been going on for most of this year.  I have experienced what I believe to be short periods of mild depression in the past, but this has been much deeper, longer lasting, and debilitating (if in fact it sounds like depression to you).  I have taken several of the online diagnostic tests, and they all indicate strong levels of potential depression.

My counsellor and I have discussed in the past experimenting with a small dose of anti depression medications, under a physician's supervision.  My question is whether it might be possible and is it usual to use these for short (3-6 month) period of time?  I very much consider this a "situational" depression, and do not want to become reliant on medication over the long term if I do not have to.  I do not see anything wrong with taking this, but am concerned about long term dependency (although I do understand they are not clinically addictive).

I assume we are talking about a serotonin reuptake inhibitor at a fairly moderate dose, but don't know.  Thank you for your thoughts on my condition, and possible treatment.

What you describe is definetly a significan depression, and medication is very much indicated.  It sounds situational in origin, and once you are through with the depression, you will not have to stay on medications.  They are perfect for your situation, will give you the boost you need to add to your counseling, and let you concentrate so you can move your business out of depression.
First of all,

I wish you well and hope you have a timely recovery. I know exactly where you are coming from since I too am dealing with Depression and anxiety. I think it's great that you are seeking counseling. I would also recommend that you find a good psyciatrist. Someone you can communicate with and relate to. Finding the right doctor that understands your situation and giving you the right medication is very importain.

Good luck!
Jimmy
Thank you for your encouraging words, Jimmy.  It is a frightening thing to think about medication, but I just am so tired of going on like this, and thinking soon I will "snap out of it."  At this point, I want my life back, and will do what it takes to get there.  Thank you too for your excellent advice.  I hope you're doing well, and moving forward to a great future!
I am not a Dr. but talking from experience I think Wellbutrin would be the perfect med for you. I was also hesitant about taking meds but in most cases you can only take it for a period not all your life. My psyc told me that he recommends taking meds until you have a year of being stable and not having any more depression symptoms. If you stop before that, according to my psyc, it might come back. Definitly see a psyc and ask him about Wellbutrin. (Keep in mind that all meds have side effects and issues of their own. Personally the good results way out  the bad results significantly so that's what keeps me going.)Wishing you all the very best!
I absolutely relate to your post.  I not only am afraid of many medications ( I'm highly sensitive to drugs) but I worry about long term effects and try to live as natural a life as is reasonable and possible. But, I , too, run my own business and found myself in the midst of severe depression . Like you, this didn't result in a vacuum but after all sorts of exogenous reasons -- from deaths in my family to just plain bad luck. I am now on prozac ( the only antidepressent I could tolerate) and while I'm still having some problems ( trying to titrate it up)I know it is helping .  I'm in therapy , too. You reach a point where you HAVE to get help, for as long as it takes, in order to have the quality of life you need to function. Good luck to you. You've made the important first step -- recognizing you have a problem and need help. There's a lot of research going on about how major stresses absolutely can have a physiological impact that can bring on depression through biological pathways. It's not a failure on your part. It is an illness and you will get through this!
Lynn, Jimmy, Della and all,

Thank you so much for your kind words of understanding and encouragement.  It is good to know that there are others who have been here, and that there are hopeful days ahead.  I shared these posts with my spouse, who is being very loving and supporting and is very encouraging that we get the help we need to get through this.  I appreciate more than you know your support, and consider each of you a special blessing.  You give me the courage needed to move forward.  God Bless you all, and I will let you know how it goes.

Pat