Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Menapause

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Menapause

I am 46 years of age - The month of May was the first time I did not get my period. Forgive my ignorance, but my question is this:<BR>
What comes first, going through changes or one's period stopping.<BR>
I always thought your period stops and then you go through changes. But I was told its the other way around, you go through changes and then your period stops. If this is the case, then I guess I took after my mother, because I had nothing like what other woman complain about, hot flashes; mood swings; etc. absolutely no symtoms (symptoms). Thanking you in advance for your reply.
This is a mental health forum. Your question will be better answered by your gynecologist, or your family doctor, who I will encourage you to discuss your concerns with.
I am 47 and started menopause this year.  I started with hot flashes, mental confusion, fatigue - all the classic symptoms.  My periods became irregular but did not stop.  My doc did a thyroid test and a hormone test and I am now on HRT.  

Your period stopping could be a number of things and you need to see your doctor.
There are a whole series of hormonal ups and downs throughout the month which all contribute to a period. Anything that upsets the balance of these can rearrange your schedule, even if you've always been right on time in the past. So I wouldn't be too sure that you've made it through menopause in one month. A change in the timing of your periods could be the first of the changes you've been looking for.
I am 37 and started going through menopause 4 years ago.  It all started with mood swings and missing a period here and there. Then the hot flashes and night sweats and the insominia started. Then in 1999 I didn't have any periods for 9 months.  I went to my OBGYN for an exam and hormone workup and guess what, I had completely quit producing any Estrogen.  I am now taking HRT daily.  I started having my periods again within a month of taking the hormone.  I don't feel much better but a least having a period every month cleans out my system and I don't have that bloated feeling all of the time.  Menopause is difficult for some women and others zip right through, it also can last for years.  Good luck!