Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Mental shifts in dialysis patient - looks like paranoid pd
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Mental shifts in dialysis patient - looks like paranoid pd

My brother recently started dialysis.  He has always displayed symptoms of what one might refer to as an Antisocial personality but since his toxins have gotten high and he started dialysis, he's been threatening people, he has become very paranoid thinking people are watching him, talking about him, trying to break into his condo or have broken in looking for "evidence to use against him". Lately, these delusions and threats involve  me and my husband and this is very frightening.  I tried to tell his social worker and she doesn't seem to believe me.  In the meantime, I am worried he's going to respond to his perceived ideas and hurt us or someone else.  IS there any link between dialysis and significant mental shifts such as this.  And how should we respond to his constant accusations that we are breaking into his condo or doing something to him?  I would appreciate some advice.  Thank you.
Mental changes can be influenced by metabolic disturbances.
Since you know your brother's baseline personality, you may discuss these changes with his attending physician and request for a psychiatric consult to determine if the metabolic changes are affecting your brother's mental state or not.

It would be futile to respond to someone suffering from an untreated mental changes. Your persistence to seek a psychiatric consult would be most beneficial.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979