Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
My important question

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

My important question

It is quite funny... see I had recently been on Meth Amphetamines for 1 yr.  Good for me, I had quit doing them.  But because of it, now I get anxiety and Xanax seems to be the only thing to chill me out, and more!  But what is sad, is I do not want to be perscribed because I might want to get to high, and I am scared of being hooked, and then if I cold turkey quit, I'll have SEIZURES!!! understand?  How should I do this?  Take them when I need them? Get perscribed? Stop taking them?  Or be careful?  I don't know anything about Xanax except that it is an anti depressant, that WORKS, and it keeps be comfortable with being off Methamphetamines.

Thank you Sean
I would like an Informatable answer back, either through this website I paid 5$ for or through my email at ***@****
Xanax is not an antidepressant, but is an anti anxiety drug. You should get a small amount prescribed to handle the initial anxiety of stopping the meth's, and only use the smallest dose occasionally as needed...less than once a day; do this for a few weeks, then stop; if still anxious, see a therapist.
1 Comment
I'd completely agree with Dr. Gould's advice ...

However ... all of this is mute if you're not committed to stop taking the amphetamines.  There are a lot of medical detox centers you could benefit from -- if you're committed to being from the burden of a drug addiction.

I'd suggest you take a look at some of the longer-acting forms ... like Xanax XR ... for 30 days or so to help with the panic-like symptoms.