Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
NPD and Sociopathy

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

NPD and Sociopathy

I really need some information and I believe it is very important. I am not writing here about myself but about another person, a person who I believe may one day put one of my friend’s life in danger.

My friend is in a relationship with her boyfriend they are both 18 and have been together for 2 years. He uses her like a sex doll he’s raped her, screamed and shouted at her thrown chairs around (but never hit her) he has also cheated on her many times. He abuses her emotionally and sexually as well as physically but to an unknown extent.

He shows extreme signs of an exacerbated narcissistic personality disorder, he has to control every single aspect of her life, assert his power over her in every conceivable way, he has such a strong desire for power over her its unbelievable. In addition he is very socially withdrawn and does not socialize at all outside of his one or two ''friends''.

One thing that I find quite worrying is that ive suspected he has a severely narcissistic personality disorder of some kind for quite some time now. I have ''known'' him for 8 years we were never friends. He seems to be devoid of any signs of empathy or remorse and even to some extent you could argue fear as well. I find these 3 things very worrying and wonder if there is something more sinister than a possible personality disorder here.

I don’t want to go as far as to say sociopathy I know its a very debated subject with many scientists believing due to the nature of in some cases the sufferers being unable to feel emotions leading to the desires of rape and murder etc. Ive never believed it is that serious but what I am trying to say is that he seems to be bordering on many of the signs. I guess I wish to find out if there is anything documented that is similar to what I have discussed but not to the extreme extent of actual sociopathy because I believe he overlaps the diagnosis of NPD by quite considerably.

Thank you for your time  
Age
:  
18
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
Unsure under 11 stone
You may be quite right to worry re your friends well being.  Regardless of the diagnosis you have described a very abusive relationship.  There is not any way you are going to change him nor can you force any treatment in our society, but you can help your friend with some persistent straight talk until she sees theligh and safely frees herself from this relationship.
Excuse the bad grammar  a little tired and i apologise i have posted in the wrong forum i had both pharmacist and mental health open at the same time.
I'm not sure we should ever try and label people.  A doctor needs to do the diagnosing, in this case a psychiatrist.

I was looking for another post and saw that you had not received a response.  Hopefully that will be ratified shortly.

J