Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
OCD-relationshps

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

OCD-relationshps

For the past few months I've started seeing a guy who has been diagnosed with OCD. Our relationship has been really intense from the very begining. After about the first month of us dating he told me that he wants to see other people because he has had bad experience with past 'serious' relationships because aparently he tends to be smoothering and gets depressed when not togeter when he is involved and doesn't want to have to deal with that. COuld this have something to do with his OCD or is it just a classic 'fear of commitment' senerio. I'm so confused becase he is seeing other women but when we're together we have a fabulous time and really 'click.' Also, he has been depressed lately and I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to help him out with that.
Reno
Reno,

Your friend with OCD may have difficulty with committing to you for different reasons.  He may be concerned about his illnesses impact on you, it may be a personality issue, or it may be he just doesn't want to be in a commited relationship.  I recommend that you start with discussing these with your friend.  Being supportive of your friend and encouraging him to follow through with his therapist/psychiatrist are also important.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords:  OCD, depression
1 Comment
iam in a relationship, and my partner is very strong will. he wont let me go out with any of my friends on my own as he tells me he does not trust them. he always makes me ring his friends to have a chat with or to organise an outing. i really dont know what to do as my friends are also important to me. do you think he is possive of me or what.