Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Overwhelming Stress and Blood Pressure

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Overwhelming Stress and Blood Pressure

I am a 27 yr. old female. My father and his siblings had High bp, but my mother and her family have very low bp (mom's bp usually 105/65) so I know I can go either way. I check my bp out of obsession over not getting it and past anxiety issues. When I am relaxed (no stress on mind, sitting still, and no one around) my bp is <120-78. When it does elevate at home it is around (136/78), but I could sit down and relax and it would go down within minutes.

I have been accepted into a police academy, contingent on my medical exam which will focus on bp.  I didn
Once you have crossed the line and become hyperaware or obsessed about your blood pressure, that in itself can raise it in just the random way that you describe.  Add to it the high stakes element of failing the academy medical exam, and the pressure goes higher.   Ativan can reduce your anxiety and only secondarily reduce your blood pressure.   You have to break this obsession cycle before you can find out whether you have high blood pressure or not.

You might take your doctor up on the beta blocker idea.  
a small dose for a couple of weeks while taking your blood pressure may quiet your anxiety and get your mind off of this long enough to break the cycle.