Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
PAXIL WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS MIMIC HEROIN WITHDRAWAL!

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

I am suffering from Paxil withdrawals.  Below is more information that the doctors won't tell you!!!

Tell your Doctors, and perhaps they will make the connection! How hard has it been for you to wean yourself from Paxil? It's as agonizing as coming off of heroin..and shares most of the same symptoms and long term effects! While researching an answer to all of the awful symptoms I experienced during my Paxil withdrawal, I was unable to find any medical resources listing Paxil as a source of these particular symptoms we all experience. Guess where I kept finding my search results directing me to? Heroin withdrawal. The symptoms associated with heroin withdrawal that are similar to Paxil withdrawal are: nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, and leg movements, or jerking. While heroin produces muscle and bone pain, insomnia, and cold flashes with goose bumps ("cold turkey"), which are not identical to Paxil withdrawal, the Paxil symptoms of headache, "electric shocks", dizziness and hot flashes as well as psychotic mental state (violent anger/hopeless depression, unwanted suicidal/homicidal thinking) are similarly debilitating and certainly result in the return to the use of the drug (paxil) in the same way that heroin produces that result! Most experts agree that the major withdrawal symptoms peak between 24 and 48 hours after the last dose of heroin and subside after about a week. However, some people have shown persistent withdrawal signs for many months. I think that most of us (the "experts" on paxil withdrawal!) would agree that, even with careful and lengthy periods of weaning off the drug, at least some of these frightening effects occur and are problematic in our lives for longer than the average heroin withdrawal duration of about a week! Most of us have found that, by the time a week has passed,off Paxil, the terrible sickness we feel has become so great, we are desperate to return to taking the drug again to alleviate the symptoms. And many often do return this way, again and again...simply because we can't afford to lose three weeks or more of work, withdrawing from a medication that Doctors routinely dismiss as not being a cause of such sickness (we all have a really bad case of the flu), or because we are so frightened by the strange, indescribeable physical and mental feelings of disassociation and nervous system "zaps" that we go back to the drug to restore clear thinking, fearing that we are "crazy"...especially since our doctors seem to have no understanding of any of these symptoms as relating to anything they have seen before.   I hope everyone who is serious about finding the truth about the drug Paxil and it's horrible withdrawal symptoms will be sure to notify their health care providers of all of the symptoms experienced with this drug and insist that the details be documented and reported to the manufacturer, distributors, pharmacists and anyone in the medical field who can process this information officially and end the notion that these symptoms are "hearsay", simply because the drug company has not chosen to make them "fact"! And the next time you feel, or someone tells you that withdrawing from Paxil is "not that bad", remember that you are in the throes of a withdrawal so severe. that few others, except heroin addicts, have experienced, and YES, IT IS BAD! But it can be survived!

: Shawn Allen
Jaime,

I'm not sure if you have any questions for me but feel that you may be somewhat misinformed.  Paxil, an SSRI antidepressant, is generally a safe and well tolerated medication at the time of initian and cessation.  Also it is not an addictive substance.
      A serotonin "withdrawal" syndrome that consists of flu like symptoms can occur after the abrupt discontinuation of medication(SSRI) most often when taking higher doses.  In order to avoid such phenomenon, which most people do not experience, the medication should be tapered as slow as necessary--usually a few days to weeks.  Keep in mind that this is not a life threatening condition.
       This information is intended for general educational purposes only. Please consult your personal physician for specific health concerns.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keyword:  Paxil
I have found similar symptoms after abruptly stopping Paxil.
My docter switched me to another anti-depressive and assured me there would be no withdrawl (withdrawal), even though I told her the day after I stopped taking the Paxil that I was so dizzy I could hardly stand up. She did not agree that Paxil was the cause of my symptoms but had no other explanation.
In addition to extreme dizziness, I had fatigue and nervousness at the same time, and a "roller coaster" feeling between being exhausted and being unable to sit still. These symptoms went away after about 1 week, but I do believe that withdrawl (withdrawal) to this drug is very real- as is obvious here- and should be taken more seriously by docters.
Thank you for speaking up on this matter
Jaime,
  Hi.  HFHD doc just responded to my attempts here with the same denial that your doc did initially: "Paxil cannot cause what you are describing."  I found evidence from many reputable places in England and Australia that "know better." and forwarded it to local mental health office.  I hope there is a bit of consideration from "official sources" here in the US soon.  This is all very...,  "silly...."
                  Keep the faith.  Lee.
greetings,  Below is a response to an HFHS "answer" posted 10/1 re: paxil w/drawal that the system would not accept ('syntax error').
The saga continues...:  

Hell-o  
   Respectfully, I once worked in a rehab
probram and had to read and listen to many
descriptions of 'coming off' amphetimines and
heroin.  The similie (speed) is naturally not
_precise_.  There are too many congruities to
be coincidence, though.  There are so many
describing the same things.  I understand that
medical norms in the US do not consider this
w/drawal scenario a serious possibility.  
Things are very different in the UK and
Australia.  Perhaps "myopia" is not only a
patient anomaly.  Your comments are
appreciated, as an attempt to ease the
concern, a bit, but I am just curious enough
to keep an open mind.   Keep the faith,  Lee.
  (I am, for example, acquainted with one
person who was in the "loony bin" for 7 years,
sedated, for "schizo...."  Finally, a curious
physician discovered that she was not hearing
"voices," but tinnitus.  She is now fully
functional and happy.  It happens.)
Just adding another increment of evidence of the reality of "paxil w/drawal syndrome."  Big time tummy cramps and indigestion have arrived, days 7-8 off paxil, as predicted by those who know better than the "authorities" in the US.  Be careful, folks.  Its a big drag, but I just wanted to assure anyone going through it what is likely to happen.
I stopped taking Paxil almost a year ago because of the sexual side effects (delayed orgasm).  It took three tries over several months before I had the fortitude to get off of it completely.  The first couple of weeks were rough with "brain strobes" and sudden "elevator falls".  My mood was terrible but did improve.  After about 2 months things leveled off.  I'll not take it again because of the side effects and the withdrawl (withdrawal).  My Dr. acknowledged the sexual side effects but said that the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms were due to my depression still being presant, not quitting the drug.  I'm sure he knows more about it than I do but it really doesn't matter what the reason, it was not pleasant.
Hi- I read your message while searching for ways to alleviate my Paxil withdrawals- my doctor told me to ride it out while waiting for the Wellbutrin to kick in.  I did a dumb thing by quitting cold turkey, but I never knew I'd feel sooooo bad.  Did you find any help on how to feel better during this period?  I've read that it can last for six to eight weeks.  Great, Huh?  I've been on Paxil for three years and it's been great but I've switched to Wellbutrin for some reasons that I won't bore you with.  I'd ben interested in knowing if you feel better, and if you ever got any help.

Thanks,
Amy Mira
I find it amazing that some physicians still insist that there is no withdrawl (withdrawal) syndrome with the SSRI medications.  The ability of there psychoactive drugs to alter the chemistry of our brain and its' neurotransmitters tells you that abrupt, and even gradual cessation of the drug is going to manifest itself in unpleasant physical and mental symptoms.
I am a RN. I suffered a severe depression and relapse over the last few years. I have tried prozac, zoloft, and paxil with relief of the depression, but their "cure" resulted in a whole new set of physical problems.  Sexually, I was dead.  I also find that these drugs change your ability to feel appropriate emotions like compassion and sadness. Crying was impossible, even when it was normal to do so! Human touch, something I usually crave, I lost all desire for. I wish I had never taken the medications, even though they brought me out of significant depression. I am not convinced that the drug-induced "normal" states they brought on, were not just that....a "high" just like any other high, wether it be from cocaine, heroin or alcohol etc..  Are antidepressants any different than other drugs of abuse? Blake equates prozac with LSD, in her book "Prozac, Pancea or Pandora". She says the basic mechanism of function in the brain are the same.  What are doctors doing to people! Much more research is necessary for drugs as powerful as these.
i finally decided to look up antidepressant withdrawal and am amazed at all of the sites i've found. i may have taken paxel briefly , i don't remember , i went through a few until me and my docter settled on effexor. i was on it for several months and went off it for over a year , but then opted to go back on it. and i did , for two years. until one night i started having the worst symtoms (symptoms), cold sweats,heart palpitations, and the worst nervious anxiety i've ever known. i immiedatly started to wean myself off of it. it took a few months. i did it as slow as i could and still had bad withdrawal symptoms. anyways, still suffering from depression, about eight months later i decided to try a very new drug, one that my docter had suggested would be easier on my heart. it's called "celexa". i tried it and after taking it for just one week, i awoke w/the worst heart palpitations. it felt as though my haert would stop. so i immedietly stopped taking it. now it's six months later and i still have withdrawal symptoms. i haven't taken anything for several months and i still suffer from a list of symptoms{heart palpitations, strobe ligth effects in my head,head fuzzyness , and a feeling of the worst mortal anxiety that i've ever known. most of the symptoms come and go, but the feeling of anxious dread is pretty much always w/me. i finaly talked to my docter a couple of days ago, and he basiclly told me that these symptoms were all psychological and that i needed to come in for more therapy. i feel that my claims sound crazy, but i know my depression ,i've had it for so long, and i know my body, my personal belief is that these symptoms are a completely unnateral occurance for me and that my docter is dead wrong. i feel that all i can do now is wait and hope that these symptoms go away.
Same here guys.Paxil withdraw.There is such a thing just like the tabbaco industry saying there is no habit forming substance there either or cancer or what ever.Some day they will get this info all together and find out  that we were not only right but think twice who they put on that stuff.I will never be the same person after being on that stuff.I really wish they would of told me that because of this stuff I would risk never being able to be me again.The withdrawls, alwful alwful .Now I have constant pains in my whole body and the pain is exhausting and I am so afraid to take pills now
I have come off Paxil after using only 10 months.  I weaned off, over a period of one month.  I have a severe case of dizziness and hear a whooshing sound (similar to the sounds of a soft shoe dance on sand) in my head when I move suddenly.  When I run on my treadmill, I feel as if my feet do not touch.  I have been rather clumsy lately, as if my depth perception is off.  I am not crazy, I went to a ear, nose and throat dr and she says it's possible sinus problems.  All the antihistamines in the world are not helping.  Can this dizzy thing be a part of the discontinuation of the drug and if so how long will it last?  I spoke w/my sister and she has similar symptoms after stopping Paxil.  I also feel sensitivity on my face as if the nerves are exposed, when I apply makeup ,etc.
Has anyone an answer to how long these symptoms last, or is there no clinical research to give a proper answer?
Judging by testimonies...the Drs on here seem to be making fools of themselves saying that there are no adverse side effeccts with Paxil withdrawl (withdrawal).  As I sit here, my head is pounding, all my muscles ache and I am getting "zapped."  Funny thing though, I called Smith/Beecham and they admitted that they didn't have any idea how serious the effects of Paxil were going to be.  So, they admit it, but the Drs. can't.  Interesting.  Maybe some of our Dr. friends, should try saying...."I'm sorry, I was wrong."
i too am going through the 'elevator' 'dizzy' paxil withdrawal. these symptoms are very real and very frightening.  the disassociative emotions and thoughts of being crazy are all too prevalent.  i am here to say that this is a horrendous withdrawal and i would rather go through the one or two days of alcoholic reliquishment, again, any day over this.  i am very curious to see in anyone has found any type of remedy for these side effects...
To:  HFHS MD-JM
Keword: Paxil

I beg to differ, have you tried this drug yourself....if not please do.  I was a normal healthy busy wife, mother and career happy person at 42 yrs. old.  Suddenly I experienced (from stress) a possibel Complex Partial Seizure one day.  Still checking for Diabetes sugar levels (runs in my family) as a possible cause otherwise unkown cause.  Neurologist outruled a panic attack.  By the time months later I could see the Neurologist my Intern started me on Paxil for possibility of a Panic Attach...this is when my life changed!

Of course after a week of being on 20 mg. I could not concentrate at work, so I lowered it to 10 mg.  this felt great keeping my stress level in my busy lifestyle in tact "I felt wonderful" until 1 year later I blew up like a balloon with weight gain (a side effect I only learned from my own research), I then realized this too is a side-effect I was never told about.  I tappered off the Paxil "very slowly" and experienced the same awful nightmare withdrawal symptoms and electric shock feelings, buzzing, dizziness/equilibrium off  (expecially when walking/exercising) confused/anxious.  I  I just can't seem to shake it -feelings I never felt before one year ago.  I don't have panic/anxiety attacks in my history.  Only Now....I  have a constant fear I can't get through each day with this physical/mental feelings I'm still expriencing after one month completely off it.

I eat very healthy (follow diabetic meal plans since I was borderline with the new weight gain) got my weight down and exercise daily.  It has been 4 weeks now and it's not getting any better, I still feel very uneasy  weeks later.

So - please don't discard these posters on this site as if they are not feeling what they are feeling because it's REAL, and no one is doing anything about it to help!!

Signed,
Want to be myself again
To all the dr's,pharms,and smithkline & beecham sales reps, I hope you all burn in hell for ignoring the torcher of paxil withdrawl (withdrawal). When I was presciribed paxil I wasn't told of the extreme withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. Word of the withdrawl (withdrawal) problem had long been heard of at the time of my dr. prescibing paxil.  I'd rather go back to the panic attacks than deal with the nausea, diziness, headaches, nervousness, and the added anxiety of not knowing how long this nightmare will last. I've seen some postings about a class action lawsuit being implemented.  Well, count me in. E-mail me if you know of any info regarding any treatments for the withdrawls or the lawsuit against smithkline & Beecham.  e-mail (***@****)
I have never been addicted to Heroine, Cocaine, or any other drug in my life.  But by
going through the withdrawals of Paxil in the last five days has made me thank god I didn't
ever get hooked on those "illegal" drugs.  

Three years ago, I was having some stomach problems, general nervousness when I would
go to my college classes.  After visiting multiple doctors who diagnosed and treated me
for Stomach ulcers, my physician called me a "worry wort" and put me on Paxil.  Needless
to say, I definetely began feeling better in about two weeks.  I was as happy as can be.
Did not get sick anymore.  Was quite at ease in any situation.  I continued on Paxil for
about 4 months.  At that point I tried quitting.  Thats when the problems started....

I have tried to quit many times since then.  Tried the weaning. Tried the cold turkey.
Never could cease the medication completely.  I am 27 now.  I have noticed an
uncontrollable increase in my weight over the past 3 years.  I am approximately 40lbs
overweight at this point.  Serious problems with Cholestorol and Triglycerides.  Hunger
for the fatty good foods.  I have been on Paxil 20mg Daily for 3 years now.  This past
week I have decided to quit cold turkey.  I would like to attempt to let everyone know
daily what has been happening:

Tuesday(Day 1:First day without taking Paxil the night before):  No serious side effects on
that day.  Did feel a little dizzy at moments but not too bad. A little fatigued.

Wednesday (Day 2):  Was extremely fatigued in the morning.  Could hardly pull myself
out of bed or conciously wake up for that matter.  Increasing dizzieness.  Achy feeling
began to set in.  Noticed more remembering of dreams I had the night before.

Thursday (Day 3): Once again, very fatigued in the A.M.  Began rollercoaster energy
level.  Remembered a lot of dreams.  Noticed the beginning of the leg jerks with the
flashes of dizziness. Light Nausea. Light Tinnitus(ringing in ear).

Friday (Day 4): Fatigued in the A.M. Very Sleepy.  However burst of
energy(rollercoaster).  Achy feeling constant at this point.  Very tired. Flashes of dizziness
with eye movement.  Some ending with the feeling like your going to pass out but don't.
Legs jerking uncontrollably in the A.M.  These jerking motions were in association with
the flashes if dizziness.  The feeling of turning into an introvert.  Frowning.  General nasty
feeling.  Snapping at the smallest things.  Achy flu symptoms.  Light Nausea now
constant, however never vomited.  Rollercoastering in moods.

Saturday (Day 5): Tinnitus is constant now.  Flashes of dizziness associated with eye
movement.  Even with eyelids closed.  Leg jerks at a minimum today.  Rollercoaster of
feeling ok one momoent, and then feeling sick, fatigued, and very tired the next.  Feeling
cold one second, the next second feeling hot, like hot flashes. Slight headache.  Increasing
appetite.  Never seem full really.  Feeling exhausted just going up a few stairs.  Inability to
concentrate long at times.  Must lay down at times.  

That is it for now.  Its Saturday night.  I am indeed afraid that this medication may of
caused permanent damage to my body. I am hoping to feel better in the next couple days.
This has been one of the worst things I have had to go through in my life.  I do not wish
this on anyone.  Well except maybe the Doctors that keep saying that there are no side
effects to this drug.  Sorry, just a joke.  I will try to keep everyone updated.  Thanks for
listening.....

daily what has been happening:

listening.....
I too have been taking Paxil for two years and before that Luvox for two years. I don't need any drugs anymore, but it's so hard to stop taking Paxil.  I have these dizzy feelings like my neuro-transmitters are off balance.  I cut the 20 mg. in half for the last two weeks and by 6:00 p.m, the time I take the pill, I am dizzy.  I want to cut it down to 1/4 soon.  I don't feel any better yet.  It still seems to be in my system.  HOw long does this take?  Will I ever feel like myself again? Does it stay with you or do any damage to your equilibrium? ***@****
Well as for me i do believe Paxil is a very dangerous drug that nko one should use if you can classify it as a drug but also, i really does depresses you and makes you want to do things which you are not suppose to do.
I have tried several times to go off paxil but the side effects are so bad that I have to go back!  I am afraid that I will be on this for the rest of my life.  I cant lose weight, I don't cry, I can't get real feelings any more.  When I try to stop the paxil 20mg I only last 3 days before I run for my "fix".  This is a real problem!
I'm on this website at the current moment trying to find out if there is any possible way to alleviate some of the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms of Paxil.  This is the thrid time I've experienced dizziness, nausea, etc. by trying to stop taking the drug.  I'm only twenty-one year old and have been taking Paxil for two years now.  I've repeatedly told my doctor I want to stop taking it and she repeatedly convinces me to stay on it.  She seems to feel it may be a life long need for me.  I beg to differ.  I want off and the sooner, the better.  I really feel for people who go through this.  Especially when doctors deny the fact that there is a major problem in withdrawing from the drug.  I hope within a short amount of time, I will be done with Paxil for good.  I don't want to go through this again.
I went on Paxil during the summer and I have decided to come off of the drug. The withdrawal symptoms are just terrible. I have never felt the way I am feeling right now. I do wish my physician had warned me about the side effects and withdrawal symptoms associated with Paxil. If I had known what I know now I would never have taken Paxil. To make matters worse I combined Paxil with Wellbutrin. I am still taking Wellbutrin but I did not realize that a side effect of Paxil and Wellbutrin is irritability. My level of irritability whilst on both antidepressants has prompted me to come off of Paxil. I think people should be well informed of the withdrawal symptoms of Paxil and I would like to list mine in the hope that this may be of use to someone else who is considering taking Paxil. My symptoms right now include: extreme dizziness to a point where I am no longer feeling safe behind the wheel of my car, headaches, difficulty getting to sleep at night, constantly craving liquids like water, sodas etc, extreme mood swings, tearful episodes, and big fluctations in body temperature (going from 'goose bumps' to sweating). I would urge anyone who is considering starting to go onto Paxil to think about these withdrawal symptoms and understand that they really do disrupt your life. I am 29 and I am an assistant professor. I have my whole life ahead of me and yet right now I am battling off thoughts of suicide, leaving my job etc.

Good luck to anyone else out there who is struggling with Paxil withdrawal, it is terrible, don't let anyone minimise your feelings because they are real, and until you've been on Paxil you cannot imagine what daily life is like when you're trying to come off of it.

PD.
Thank you, thank you, and again I say, thank you to those of you who have written.  I'm sitting here desperate for answers and insight into my Paxil withdrawals.  I started taking Paxil about a year and a half ago.  My health care provider started me on 10 mg daily and within a few months I was up to 60 mg daily.  Approximately 2 months ago I stopped working and went back to school, resulting in my being uninsured.  I have been weining (sp?) myself off of the Paxil (without the direction of my health care provider) simply because I cannot afford the $180 a month for the medication.  After 6 weeks, I gradually got down to 20 mg daily, and yesterday I took my last pill.  For weeks, I've been increasingly dizzy, specifically my peripheral vision is screwey, my jaw feels like it will break from clenching it, I'm nauseas, have diarrhea, have a headache, have massive adrenaline flows approx. every quarter hour, can't sleep (but YAY have dropped a lot of weight), sweat profusely and I feel on the verge of a panic attack. I am full of anger and vengeance, and I no longer can control the awful things that have been coming out of my mouth.  In short, I feel manic.  I am going to see a new doctor today (only because I have moved to a new location am I going to a new doctor - actually an F.N.P. - better bedside manner).  I too, have heard that Paxil withdrawals are non-existent, but those of us here know a different reality.  Thankfully, my F.N.P. has validated how difficult withdrawals can be and has told me in no uncertain terms that quitting "cold turkey" should not be done.  I feel acceptance over the fact that I need seratonin, much as the drug addict is okay with needing what they need to get through the day.  ("Just make the pain go away - PLEASE!")  I cannot and will not go through this any longer and my boyfriend has told me he will cover any medical costs to have me well and okay to cope with life again.  He misses the "me" that I should be.  It terrifies me to NEED something so badly that is not readily available to me at all times.  I have nothing to offer but thanks to those of you who have written, and support to anyone else who writes.  I cannot stop asking myself WHY WHY WHY do doctors/pharmaceutical companies make it so hard for people to be mentally well?
To "Want to be myself again"
I can't believe how similar our stories are!  Weight gain, diabetic problems. I'm weening myself off paxel and feeling really crappy.  My vision goes wavy and I basically can't focus on anything.  It lasts about 1/2 hour.  Doctors think it's a type of migraine, but don't have the real pain most people do.  Although I do get a headache, its' just not as bad as other migraine sufferers.  Anyway, I'm hoping you're feeling better and that I some day will too.  I wonder if anyone has successfully come off off paxel and living well.
I have been on Paxil for about 2-3 years when we thought we were going to try and get pregnant.  I weaned myself off cold turkey and only took a pill (20 mg) when I really felt I needed it.  This would be every other day about.  When my conception interest peaked, I went off completly...no more every other day fix.  I have head the "flu" ever since. My body feels as if it is running a high fever, my head is "swimmy" all the time, eyes burning as if I have a cold, weepy at nothing, angry beyond words, and wondering if I should go back on (tempted) but more so wishing that this withdrawel would go away.  Like many of you, my doctor never explained the side effects of coming off the Paxil.  I was in need of the Rx when I was perscribed it and it did help me turn my life around.  I wish I had been on it years earlier.  The withdrawel is bad but I can deal with it.  The beneifts the drug provided for me, to help me to be able to enjoy my life in the smallest degrees was so worth it.  The w/drawel is something I can do without and I do feel very vunerable, but I will never regret going on the drug in the first place.  If we were not trying to have a family, I would still be on it.
After taking Paxil for two years for depression, I decided that
I would like to get off of it.  I had tolerated the yawns and
the feelings of drugged sleep, but it had carried over to my
waking hours.  I would sit for hours if no one motivated me to
get moving. I drive for a living and I would have a hard time
staying alert after five minutes at the wheel.  I just wanted
to pull over and take a nap.  I never took more than 10mg and
at the time I decided to quit, I was using 7 1/2mg daily.  I cut
that down and then stopped completely about 2 weeks ago.  The
first few days I was completely unmotivated about everything.
I was dizzy, had muscle pain in my neck and back, depressed and
a little scared.  Finding this site has lifted my spirits and
I am trying to ride out these symtoms (symptoms), do they ever stop?
I have been on Paxil for 3 months, 10 mg a day. Out of the blue for the past 2 days I have not taken it. After reading everything posted on this page today I am terrified. I have been feeling extremely angry and depressed for the past 2 days. Today I had spots appear in front of my eyes that lasted about 5 minutes and went away followed by a horrible headache. I could hardly pull myself out of bed this morning, I thought it was a result of my depression, guess not, it was a result of not taking my paxil for a couple of days. I have also gained 10 lbs in 3 months, I thought this also was because I had to be eating more, I haven't it is these pills.I have decide to stay off these pills until I can get in to see my doctor. I would rather suffer my depression than continue with these added medical problems. Then what do I do? I suppose I have to trust the next drug I have to take.
im only 16 years old and i have been taking paxil for only a couple of months i need to stop i cant stand these feelings they make me so scard i feel like im dreaming almost all the time i just wish someone would come up with an answer. i need someone to talk to and tell me i will be ok and i can get through this
I took Paxil (10 mg) for couple of months (5-6) then decided to quit because of following reasons - (1) Wasn't quite sure if it was helping me for social anxiety problem (2) Because of its side effects if I missed my doze for couple days (3) to avoid long-term side effects.

The side effects I experienced were - "light headedness", sudden dizziness, delayed ejaculation (my girl-friend enjoyed this particular side-effect!)

Anyway, I tapered-off this medicine gradually with the help of my doctor. It has been about six months and most of the symptoms described above are gone. I must add that I try to eat healthy and exercise 2-3 times a week. Don't know if this helps.

Now, occasionally, I do get dizziness for few secods but it does not last long. The sexual side effect seems to have gotten worse to the point of slow response!

Im summary, all these medicines do have side effects. They fix one problem but create another one. My suggestions - don't take high doses of these medicines (I am not a doctor). I would think it will take longer time to recover from side-effects of Paxil if you have been taking stronger dosage for a long time. Hope this information helps to some of you PAXIL users who are trying to get-off of it.
Everyone is trashing paxil and I sypathize with you. My problem is I suffer from social anxiety disorder. Whenever I speak to more than 1 person at work or am in the 'spotlight' at all I break into a sweat on my face and blush. I am very uncomfortable communicating with people. I need to rectify this problem! Can anyone recommend a solution. I would love to hear from someone who had these symptoms and cured them. At this point I feel like trying paxil regardless of possible side effects.

Thanks in advance

I was on Paxil for only 2 months and 8 days ago decided to quit because I am an artist and could not summon the motivation to work (I am self-employed). My dosage for 19 days before quitting was down to 5 mg. At this low dose I decided to quit outright. For a week I had only slight nausea but yesterday woke up with severe syncope (dizziness and low blood pressure to the point of fainting) and severe nausea. I vomited four times and lying down did not reduce the nausea or stop the room from swimming. I took Bonine for the dizziness and stayed in bed all day.

I also want to mention that I gained 10 lbs. on Paxil and have never before had a weight problem. (I am in my 50's.)

I am determined to never take this med again, even to alleviate the symptoms. Today I feel better although still fuzzyheaded and weak. I too wonder how long it will take before I feel good again. I would advise anyone who needed an anti-depressant to try any of them except Paxil. (it is the only one I have ever tried.) My heart goes out to all of us who turned to this drug in the first place to alleviate suffering. Hearing the stories of others has helped me, that's why I am writing.
OK - this is crazy. I'm about to embark on yet another try to get rid of the dreaded drug. Until I found this site, I thought I was the only one having problems getting off Paxil. I too have gained 30 pounds, sweat like a horse when I sleep and am drowsy. I began taking the drug 2 years ago to curb my panic attacks. Now I'm thinking I would have been better off just taking Xanax when they occurred rather than take a daily drug. I pray that we can all live through this - I WILL get off this drug. Everyone's responses on this site makes me feel like it is IMPERATIVE to relieve my body of this pill. Let's do it!

I've been on paxil for about 1 and a half years, and it has really helped my social anxiety.  I am much more outgoing and enjoy all social contact.  Being drastically underweight, I didn't mind gaining 45 pounds during that time.  Watch out for that though if you want to stay thin!  I am now ready to go off and even if I wasn't, I would anyway.  I had been taking 30mg/day for the last four months and the side effects have been unbearable - no motivation, sleepiness have been an awful problem, to the point where they are affecting my relationships.  I too have been told that the "me" that used to be has disappeared and wish to get that back.  I have dropped to 20mg/day and have had slight dizzy spells and extreme restlessness.  I can handle that compared to being a zombie.  Has anyone else noticed that paxil takes away your dreams?
LUVOX WITHDRAWAL: I recently slowly got off of Luvox after taking it for about 4 years.  When I told my Dr. the symptoms I was having he said there was no such medical condition.  I was having electrical type shocks in one side of my head to my bottom lip. ( Left side only)  I was getting them in my heal when I walked and then they shot up to my brain.  (mainly the left side.)  I could hardly walk without walking into the walls.  I couldn't open my eyes without getting them.  I just started Paxil and now am wondering if it was the right choice.  It sounds like people comming off of Paxil are having the same withdrawal symptoms.  It was a very tuff thing to go through!!!!  I tried Zoloft after Luvox however I was very shakey (shaky).  I found after starting the Paxil now for about 4 days I am still shakey (shaky).  Best of Luck to you all on the quest for relief.
To the wise doctor... have you ever tried taking and staying on this Paxil for a period of time, like two years then stopping it? If not, pls. do not disregard what we, the patients, who are taking this medication are experiencing. This is exactly how doctors reacted when symtoms (symptoms) on Redux, Luthronex & Propulsid were first reported to you doctors. All of you dismissed it and scientifically citing what the pharmacuetical phamplet reads. However, it was just published in the papers last week that all of the meds I mentioned were all pulled off the market because of deaths, severe health problems where surgery were required and some were fatal heart attacks. Since we are the patiets directly taking this Paxil, don't you at least owe it to the oath you took to take our symstoms seriously and investigate this withdrawal symtoms (symptoms) we are all experiencing? At least document them and send them to the company that makes Paxil. What is it going to take.. oh, perhaps, 1,000 patients who have been taking Paxil committing suicide leaving a letter stating that they feel that it is Paxil that made them do it. Will you then listen? Pls. respond to this as I am curious how you can know better than how all of us feel!!!!
I have been up for 2 days and 2 nights , only taking a cat nap when I new I needed it. My husband was an alcoholic and became sober 2 years ago for the first time since he was a teenager, he is 37 years old now. He found out he has depression and anxiety and mood swings , so his doctor tried a few anti-depressants and added valium, then took that away and added xanax along with paxil. He has been on the paxil for 2 months and decided he didn't like the side effects and thought he would see if he could have a normal life without it. The third day he was off the paxil he was experiencing dizziness, upset stomache , blurred vision headaches and the most terrible feeling in his head. His mood swings became unbearable and so unlike him before he had statred the paxil. By the time he realized it must be withdrawals it was too late , because he had a bad mood swing and was violent, (no I didn't get hurt) but I was scared for him. The neighbors ended up calling the police and now they have put 4 charges on him and he is looking at the max of 42 months in jail. I know my husband very well and Iam a psychology major. This would never have happened if he would have known of the withdrawal problems coming off of paxil. He is now back on Paxil and doesn't really remember what happened to him for the last couple of days that he was off of it. He is back to being his normal self. I have been researching withdrawal symptoms of Paxil and can not believe how many people out there have experienced the same types of problems. My husbands doctor and counsler had no idea about all of the problems coming off of paxil and they told me themselves. Now I havae to post pone finishing my school and try to help my husband get these charges dropped. We are looking for other people that are interested in getting something done about people not knowing the withdrawal problems. I have tried to get authorities and anyone to listen to me about what he went through. The funny thing is that the crisis hotline person told me that he was having paxil withdrawals and get him into the hospital as soon as possible. Please contact me at ***@**** if you can lead me to a direction of research or doctors in any country that will be willing to acknowledge the withdrawal problems. We will be contacting the Beecham company and if needed a lawyer to. I am sure that many people would be interested in getting a lawsuit together about this. I know that we are considering all the problems this has caused our family and the money lost and the time. I don't think anyone should ever have to go through these kinds of physical problems for any reason and the emotional stress the withdrawals bring. Again please feel free to contact me at ***@**** luck to all of you that are on paxil and want to get off of it.
Has anyone experienced what I am having?  The whole time I took paxil I had moderate to severe vision problems.  I was always afraid it as a brain disorder but my doctor convinced me it was the drug and not to worry.  Now I have been off the drug 5 days and still have the vision problems.  My doctor said it should go away in a few days.  Also am have incrdeible dizziness and mood swings.  I just want to know what to expect mostly from the vision stuff.  I don't care how long it lasts as long as it is not a brain tumor or something.  (it did start when I began the paxil)  Just bummed it is not going away?  Anyone experineced the same things?
I have weaned off Paxil twice.  it is not easy.  However, it can be done if it is done very, very slowly.  If you are on 20 mg, cut a tiny piece off the end, the 'L' in PAXIL. That's about 17 or 18 mg  Take that 4 or 5 days; then cut the IL off, and take for about 5 days, and go down the line like that very slowly.  It should take about a month or five/six weeks. The last week should be about 3 mg every other day.  It can be done and you will be okay.  If you go down too fast, all those nasty symptoms including headaches will be upon you.  It can be done.  Don't worry.
At my husband's urging I decided to stoptaking Paxil. I was taking 60mg a day, and  found that my life was altered. For starters I gained around 30-40 pounds. I did feel that my moods were elevated, but did not have much of a sex life with my husband. I no longer felt constantly angry. Since I finished the bottle recently, and had no refills left I decided to stop taking Paxil. Since then my life has been like being in hell. I feel as if I am coming apart. I cannot sleep. I am constantly hungry, and thirsty. I have experienced severe dizzy spells, and felt close to passing out on many occasions. Not too fun while you are driving your 4 year old around running errands. I feel as if I am getting sick, but the symptoms don't ever really manifest themsekves. My body temperature feels as if it goes from freezing one minute to boiling the next. I am constantly angry. I feel as if I shake once in a while like a chill running through your body. I feel paranoid as if something bad is emminent. I feel naseaous, without throwing up. My vision is so bad I think I am going blind! I cannot focus on the computer for more than a few minutes. Headaches on a daily basis several times a day. Are these really withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms! I could not believe the stories I have read. I felt as if I had written them. I was ready to go running back to the doctor and start on Paxil again, but now forget it. Does anybody know if St. John's Wort can be beneficial for these symptoms? I would appreciate any info I can get. Email me at robbyrm_65@yahoo,com.
I am currently weaning myself off Paxil.  This is not easy.  I have been taking Paxil for a year and have been taking 40mg.  I am a big person being involved in powerlifting as I have for many years.  Being a large person has not helped in the initial week that I have reduced the level of paxil (with my doctor's consent) from 40mg to 20mg.  I have had some nausea and irritability but the worst side effect has been what I can only describe as dizziness or a feeling like you have before passing out.  I feel angry only because none of this (side effects) were discussed with me prior to this medication being prescribed.  I will update this reply as my withdrawal from the drug continues.  Good luck to everyone!
Try reading "Your Drug May Be Your Problem:  How and Why To Stop Taking Psychiatric Drugs" by Peter Breggin, MD.  He has done extensive research on this and makes some great points.  He also goes into detail about how to come off of the SSRIs (or any other meds, i.e., Ativan, Klonopin).  You can order this off of Amazon.com.  Good luck!
To say that the withdraws from Paxil is similar to Heroin is a little extreme. If the side effects are as bad as you say they are, chances are it's one of three things: (1) You're trying to get off of Heroin, too. (2) Something else (other than Heroin or Paxil) is causing these problems (3) You have stopped taking the Paxil suddenly without a gradual decrease (and likely without a doctor's permission, too). I experienced withdraws from Paxil with a gradual decrease in the drug (doctor supervised, of course) and experienced flu-like symptoms for a few days. That's it.

Stating that Paxil's withdrawl (withdrawal) effects are similar to Heroin is quite melodramatic. Unless you have a health condition or are on meds that could interfere with Paxil's functioning (or one of the three conditions stated above), a person should not experience such withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. The temporary side-effects along with the temporary withdrawl (withdrawal) symtpoms that accompany some people are worth tolerating if it means being free from depression, social phobia, panic attacks, and/or OCD. Just ask anyone who has had a serious problem with these disorders. Of course, Paxil isn't meant to be a cure for these problems...it's only a treatment that should be accompanied by behavioral therapy. It's not just a matter of getting "the chemicals rebalanced," it is also about reconditioning a person's cognitions that have become dysfunctional due to a panic/anxiety disorder.
I have been on paxil for the past three months for general anxiety.  At first my doctor started me on 20 mg and it eased my symptoms, but did not completely cure them.  The doctor increased my dosage to 30 mg per day and again I've seen some benefit but still experience milder anxiety-like symptoms that I was experienceing when I started the drug, throughout the day. eg. sweating, neck ache and chest discomfort.

I've also noticed my hands have a mild tremble.  Is this a side effect of Paxil?

I'm visiting my doctor next week and I'm wondering if I should increase my doasge to 40 mg or maybe start to ween off the drug completely.  Reading these e-mails has me concerned about the withdrawl (withdrawal).

Is there anything you can take for a cold while on Paxil?  Apparently decongestants and antihistamines are not recommended.
Glenn,

I am always hesitant to take anything for colds because I do not want to aggravate the anxiety symptoms (I am on Zoloft, which is similar to Paxil, but am tapering off).  Decongestants probably aren't a good choice because they contain pseudoephedrine (sp?) and can make you shakey (shaky)--it does me anyway.  I am not sure about antihistamines because they usually make you a little drowzy.  I normally take a few ibuprofen (for the pain) and use nose drops and copious amounts of Vicks Vapor Rub!  That seems to do the trick with no side effects.  Good luck!

khg
Wow! This forum is quite a resource.  I was seriously wondering what was wrong with me as I have been feeling quite dizzy for the past 2 days.  I ran out of Paxil about 4 days ago and wanted to wait until my new med coverage kicked in (bloody American health "system"!) before I refilled my prescription -- at $150 per month it is definitely worth the wait.  

Anyway, I've been experiencing the following symptoms, and this seems to go on increasing the longer I am without my meds --

-dizziness (major).  I am nearly tripping over my own feet.
-lightheadedness (all day)
-"electric shocks" (constant)
-extreme fatigue in the mornings
-feeling that your legs are walking all by themselves when walking or jogging.
-"wooshing" auditory hallucinations.  It took me a while to identify this, but I can definitely "generate" sounds just by moving my eyes around.
-tinnitis.  This only appeared today.  I basically keep "hearing" a high-pitched sound, not unlike that emitted by old color TV sets.

Also, while I have started feeling "a little blue", I suspect that the Wellbutrin I also take is keeping that under control.  

Anyway, it's certainly good to hear that I'm not going crazy (crazier?).  Fortunately I got my prescription card in the mail yesterday so I can stop the symptoms, but it's definitely worth bringing up with my pdoc next visit.
I have been on Paxil for four years. And tried numerous times to wean myself off.I have also in the past been on Prozac,Zoloft,and Serzone;But all these seemed to cause me severe anxiety,and irretable bowl dissorder. So they put me on Paxil. I am again trying to get off,i was feeling fatigued all the time. It has now been six days I have now been six days I have been off,I have hit a deep low like I just lost the fight! I start to have feelings of suicide; which i would never do! but you can still feel that way.My dreams at night have become more wierd!and I wake during the night and its like lights or sparks of electricty are traveling at a tremendess speed inside my head. After reading the accounts of other peoples experience with Paxil withdrall,I have resolved to get off this nightmare of a drug.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks for about 6 years now. the only drug i am taking for my condition is 25mg of toprol xl.(beta blocker). Recently i went to my medical doctor and he suggested i take Paxil. I am afraid to take ssri's for the simple fact that i never have taken any before in my life.If someone could E-mail me to help with any answers on what to do or take, I would really appriciate it.

Donald
      ***@****
I had originally written a posting on Monday January 22nd.  At that time I had begun to wean myself off 40mg of Paxil.  Today, February 21st, I am down to 10mg daily.  I have had a number of side-effects as I have reduced my dosage slowly.  "Head Rushes", dizziness, nausea, increased irritability just to name a few.  I can only speak for myself but would advise anyone about to start taking paxil to ask their doctors the following questions:

1. What are ALL the possible side-effects I may incur?
2. What has been his or her experience with other patients on this medication?(And by this I mean not only the success of the product but also side-effects).
3. What is the determing factor for the doctor's increase or decrease in dosage?

I am sure there are other good questions, but these are a few I would start out with.  I will be switching to natural products to deal with my emotions after I have completely weaned myself off Paxil.  

To Daniel who posted on January 30th, I am very happy for your success in withdrawing from paxil, but your criticism of others  is unfounded since you have admitted that you are fortunate in your withdrawal while others have not been able to share your good fortune.
I have been off Paxil for about a month and felt no side effects. I think it's all in the head, when we read up on side effects we start thinking we feel them. It's better to just take the med and concentrate on wellness, not the effect of the med.

We have to stop thinking the med is controlling us; we are in control of ourselves and our bodies. The med just gives us a litle help but positive thinking and cognitive therapy is the way to a better life.
Interesting reading here.  I've been feeling a sort of "electronic head zap" for quite some time!  I take Paxil; have taken it for 6 years.  I guess that's what causes it.  Believe me, Paxil has been good to me.  I started it after the sudden death of my husband right in front of me.  Severe shock and depression.  Paxil was a miracle to me.  I've heard PTSS sometimes can last a lifetime, and so should one's use of Paxil.  I'll take an occasional head zap if necessary; all this indicates is maybe I need to up my dosage a bit.  (I've been on 20 mg for 6 years, one a day.)

Better Living Through Chemistry :-)
I will never forget to take my Paxil again. I have been on Paxil for about half a year, and once before that. I am also on Adderall (adderrall) (amphetimine) for ADHD/ADD. I thought because the lack of sleep from working late into the night on projects, and the fact that Adderall (adderrall) rids you of craving food, and me skipping a lunch and dinner accidently was the cause of SEVERE dizziness, confusion, headaches, "sudden elevator drop" when standing up. I relized that I forgot to take my Paxil before bed (because staying late at work) for the last 4 days. My God. This is a horrible feeling. I am writing this as I am feeling this right now. I feel like people are being treated by throw pills at them and not seeking other means of a remedy. I just hope to God that the rest of you will take heed to this and shy away from this medicine or talk to you doctor and confront them with this medication's withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms before starting. It is scarry to think that a doctor recommends medicine to you not based on YOUR need, but based on the marketing the drug companies do with your doctor's office. Next time you are there, check out all the pens, calendars, etc. branded with ads for these drugs. You think that they give these out for no reason? Think about it. Care of people have become a business... :(

Jason
You are completely wrong.  In every way.  Jaime is absolutely correct.  All of the symptoms Jaime described have been experienced by me and other I know who tried the quit Paxil.  As my father told me, "If you know nothing about a subject it's best to not join in on the conversation."  If you are so sure of your words, why not take Paxil for a couple months doctor, then quit..see who's right here? Hmm..?

Kurtislee
www.quitpaxil.org is all i have to say.
I'm being tapered off paxil right now.  And thought I would look up if their were symptoms from going off it.  And now I can say now I'm afraid to be tapered off it now after being on it for 3 years.  Any advice?

sassycass
I have been completely off Paxil for the past two weeks. Not every symptom listed on most websites for paxil withdrawal I am experiencing.  I think its better to not be on drugs. It will help if you are being tapered off with your doctor and you can talk to him/her, I think it will be bearable, its got to be.   And the symptoms are annoying for many reasons but as time goes along they get better.To think that this is a drug with actual withdrawal symptoms makes me realize I definalty shouldn't be on it. ( I was on it for 2 years). Stick with it!:)
Dear HFHS MD-JM,

After reading the previous posts I must agree with kurtislee. Although I wouldn't suggest anyone take paxil for any reason.  I believe you are the one who has been misinformed. Actually, intentionally lied to by the pharmaceutical representatives would probably be closer to the truth. SSRI anti-depressants are a last resort option being pushed to the front of the line by big pharma.  Please do more research! Information is out there and you are a Doctor. Correct?
Personally, I took one 10mg pill of Lexapro (yes, only one) and have been experiencing a severe adverse reaction similar to withdrawal symptoms since then. They are lessening over time but I have lost my life in the process. I am a rare case but I wonder how rare? In the beginning it was a horrific nightmare!!! I couldn't work for the first 4 months. I lost everything. My house, credit rating, job and my savings. I have met many people with similar experiences online. Very similar.  Very many others with withdrawal horror stories, so I wouldn't be so eager to support the notion that these questionable medications are mild and safe. It is my opinion that a "very" low percentage of the population could benefit from the use of these psychiatric drugs and possibly more harm than good is really being done here. The combination of a highly addictive drug that passes the blood-brain barrier with such a nonchalant message to the general public is very dangerous.

To: anyone wanting to taper off,

As far as advice to taper off. I think "taper" is the most important word here. Take as long as you need, even if it be years. I am on a small dose of alprazolam to combat the damage and side effects, which is incredibly helpful to me but I would encourage the use of caution with taking any medication due to differences in physiology. Incorporate things in your life to help you to be healthier and happier. Sounds very basic, yet it can be extremely difficult to alter our lifestyle. Realize that you will get better and your brain somehow knows how to heal itself if given time and that you take care of yourself. One day, you won't feel the addiction anymore.  4 things to be healthy:, sleep, exercise,diet and low stress level.  Be very skeptical of any doctor that tries to "push" drugs, especially the psychiatrist. Don't take them if they are psychiatric medications.
Good luck!

T
Look up "Gwen Olsen" on youtube or google video.
Don't be afraid to stop Paxil, just do so very gradually, slow down tapering,  get help if problems are bad.  I tried half dose for a week, quarter next week, eighth next but that was too fast. Chopped pills, now down to a fragment, or nothing if I'm really tired and expect to sleep thru the nite. Reply if you want to discuss that in more detail  Every medicine, and withdrawal, is a single subject experiment..

You'll probably experience withdrawal.  My symptoms sound bad but nothing compared with why we take Paxil in the first place, so I can even joke about some Sx, I know they're not permanent. Woken by nightmares? people pay for horror movies.  Dizzy, head buzz, zaps when looking to far right or left, feels like brain sloshing in a tub, so what? more fun than some recreational drugs.  Insomnia?  get more done at night. If I wake at 3 and work all day, I'll sleep better next nite (If I don't nap, hard to avoid, so I am losing sleep but can work OK, other Sx are diminishing, few zaps now..)

I slept  better on Paxil and didn't wake with claustrophobia, anxiety, have to get up. Mainly quitting after a couple years because I want to be independent.  Hard to evaluate depression but less anxiety on Paxil then before or now but hope it will diminish.  

Anxiety is fear with no real source, as if you have all the feelings of being in a falling elevator while you're lying in bed.  Those who say just relax, you're safe, not really falling are stupid, of course you know that.  I've had the racing heart, realize it's anxiety, would never consider it a heart attack that requires rushing to ER. But that doesn't make it go away, hard to sleep with a racing heart.
I mention that only because I don't know the cure for anxiety, let me know what any of  you think on treatment.
It's like migraine.  If you get one, nice to take a pill to make it disappear.  Lots of meds for that, fine for the half it works for but what about the others?  Tell them it's all in their head?
However, it's  definitely better to take drugs, even if they have side effects or later withdrawal if you're suicidal.  Feeling hopeless about that is a symptom that means you have to find a good psychiatrist, a specialist who knows the  drugs and can counsel you thru a hard time.
I have tried many times to quit taking Paxil because of the weight gain it causes...Now I am trying Lexapro.  I have been taking the Lexapro for a week now and I feel very dizzy, when I turn my head, I feel like my eyes aren't moving a few seconds later,  I can't seem to think straight, and i am having trouble sleeping...My Dr said that the 2 meds were similar enough to each other that I did not need to taper off of the Paxil, but yesterday I finally had to stop the Lexapro and take the Paxil again to feel normal....is it ok to take these meds together until the Paxil gets out of my body?
could these side effects be from Paxil withdrawls or from starting Lexapro?
thanks
Your situation sounds almost exactly like mine. I just switched from 40 mg of Paxil to Lexapro. Its been 7 days now and I want to crawl in a hole. My Doc didn't taper me either he just told me to switch. The worst of my symptoms are the dizziness, headache, nausea, bad/weird dreams, insomnia and the fact that I don't want to be around anyone but I don't want to be alone. I do feel like I need to ride it out though. In all the research I've been doing and my past experiences with missing a dose of Paxil here and there, I'm pretty sure its Paxil withdrawal. Good luck.

Shelly
today is my second day cold turkey.I started taking paxil 10 years ago and was on 40 mg a day until yesteday. i tried the tapering off method several times and it is not for me. right now i am very dizzy and starting to get those zaps in my head if i turn too quickly. i cried at a u tube video of a dog dancing with her owner.....not really a video to cry over,but with the beginning of the emotional rollercoaster i found the video so cute that i started crying as if i just gave birth or was exchanging vows with the love of my life.LOL   This overemotion is really wierd and this is usually the point where i run back to the doctor. I am NOT running back this time. i am very nervous about what is coming next and i have decided to use this forum every day until the symptoms subside.
   thankyou for inspiring me(and scaring the heck out of me at the same time).I now know what i will be up against and that in itself is a comfort.....at least for now. we will see how i feel in a couple of days.
well, it is day three. I awoke in a panic and ran outside looking for my husband. i was crying because i woke up feeling so crappy that i couldnt bare the thought of being alone. i felt like a pathetic little child, and i am 44 years old!!!!! once i was completely awake i started feeling a little better.  the dizziness, zaps(as i have now learned they are called) are still about the same. the headaches have begun,but they are not too bad, my neck and shoulders are very tense and are also contributing to the headache. my head feels like it is stuffed with cotton and its an effort if i have to concenrate on anything that requires calculated thinking. i became very tired and had to go nap!!!! seriosly....i have had three naps today and that is not a usual event in our household. so to sum up my day...I FEEL LIKE ****!!!!!!!!!! talk tomorrow.     vivian
day 4 i could barely walk because of the dizziness. it was so bad i could barely stand up straight without feeling like i was gonna fall over. the headache is gone and so are the aches in my body......is this the calm before the storm or am i just one of the lucky ones.  i slept seven hrs and woke up very tense but that feeling went away after fifteen minutes of being awake. i spent most of the day listening to music, and my youngest daughter took me for a walk(very slowly so i didnt lose my balance) my older girl brought me a cut up platter of veggies and dip and i ate almost all of it. it  made me feel better. i am not craving carbs and sugar the way i did only 4 days ago
day 5. i only slept 4 and a half hrs last night and woke up tense with a tightness in my chest and felt like i did on day 4 when i first woke up. again, this feeling went away within fifteen...maybe twenty minutes. i feel less dizzy today. and i also woke up hungry and i was suprisingly awake!  it is only five thirty in the morning now, and i woke up at four forty five a.m.. i am pretty sure that i am going to go back to bed for a while,because i am starting to get sleepy again. i feel pretty good i have to say
I can assume from the replies by Doctors that they either work for the drug companies; are brainwashed by the drug companies; are really bad scientists; are crooks and liars; are living in a fantasy world of constant denial or just plain morons. Of course, all of the above probably apply to many more doctors than I care to know.

The other answer and this was really shocking to me when I found it out but most doctors get all their information about drugs from the drug companies. So the same drug company who is selling Paxil or any drug is the only source of information most doctors rely on. Gee, let me think about this. If I owned a company and I could sell the drugs for billions of dollars every year, would I have an incentive to lie about the drugs intended effects and side-effects and dosage.  Of course!!! But doctors are too naive at best or too corrupt to admit that to anyone. They are not scientists because science relies on an independent third party to replicate the results of the drug companies. This never happens in the approval process. The FDA is far from independent and relies on the drug companies paying for the studies. This is a scam and from all the problems people have reported it’s obvious that drugs kill and harm as many people as they help. Just think about all the people who tried to get off Paxil or any psychiatric medication that kill themselves because of the horrible withdrawals. They obviously can't post here and there must be thousands of them. BTW, do you notice all the ads for drugs on here? This is far from an objective board with objective scientists. Doctors are not objective nor are they scientists. They don't even know how the scientific process works. I don't know how to classify them but they are more like drug salesman than scientists.
well that comment i made about the calm before the storm was exactly that. last night i cried on and off for about 6 or 7 hrs!!!! i never realized how little i grieved over losses in my life and last night i mourned my mother(dead for almost 10 years now fromALS) and believe me. i sat out side with my daughter and cried and screamed and and threw fits about my mom, my cat that i loved and dissapeared may 24th weekend/07 and about 15 other things that i delt with on a very minor level when i was on paxil.last nights mini breakdown lets call it, was so bizzare that when it was finally over(4 oclock in the morning) i could not believe that i behaved like like such a head case. it scared me so much that i kept asking my hubby if i should sign myself into the hospital. instead he talked me through it told me to recite out loud the general and most commonly mentioned side effects from paxil withdrawl (withdrawal). i did this and went back to quite a few sites reading the symptoms over and over until i was thinking straight enough to realize,YES this is part of withdrawl (withdrawal) and as long as i am not feeling like hurting myself or others i will get through it.  today i feel very tired from all the crying and freaking out. i also feel a heavy sadness.  it is not depression sadness its normal sadness.i have not felt normal emotion in a long time so it would be easy for me fall into a trap of believing it is depression. i was once told in a group for anxiety and deppresion run by a hospital where i live, that many people with deppresion have a hard time distingushing or even understanding the difference between depression and normal sadness.i suggest(only cause it worked for me last night) is lookup sites that give u examples of normal and abnormal sadness and make a checklist...mental or on paper,and go through it and try to evaluate your emotional feeling into the right catagory.GO to a doctor if it is depression because the longer you leave the depression to fester the harder it will be to pull out. when the brain has a patern of depression and anxiety your nueral pathways become used and established to that routine and strengthening new healthy pathways become harder to form. i am not a doctor nor do i claim to be but this was explained to me by one. i may not be wording it correctly so i suggest finding a respected fully licenced practitioner who specializes in this field to explain it properly. i am still dizzy and zappy. my stomach is also a bit sensitive i have been taking rolaids, it seems to help.
                                              talk tomorrow
sorry... missed a few days of writing.  i am still very dizzy and feel very sluggish    but i am 90% percent better than i was. i am very sensitive to things that were only a slight bother before, like spitting. when i see it i begin to gag. i have thrown up twice now....... once was because my dog threw up and it grossed me out and once because somebody said they had a seed from a grape stuck in the back of thier throat and i gagged and puked when they coughed to get it out,         i never had a sensitive stomach like that even before the paxil  so i figure the stomach sensitivity and the easy gross out factor is another withdrawl (withdrawal) symptom.  even if i cough i feel like gagging. well, lets hope there are no more withdrawl (withdrawal) suprises around the next corner!              cheers
Hi I was on paxil for only 2 months for a couple of panic attacks from extreme stress . After 30 days of being on Paxil I felt like I wasnt myself anymore couldnt get moving to do anything  would take me 3 hours of telling myself to get up to take a shower  extreme muscle cramping nausea constantly  and this was while i was on the paxil so,,, finally i said enough ! Now im 3 weeks and 3 days off the drug im still not feeling 100% very emotional ,crying alot , weird feelings like up my spinal cord and the goes shooting off towards my arms and legs   Are these what you guys call "brain zap"? my lower back muscles constantly stiff and painfull, my legs are shaky when i walk .I have tried the omega 3 (fishoil) tablets that does seem to help because i ran out 3 days ago and i have the weird zappy feelings back . I feel like im fighting with everything ive got just to try to get back to being myself with no ailments but my one question is Will I feel better ?Will these feelings go away or will i be stick like this forever from this drug?
gee!!!!!!!!! more withdrawl (withdrawal) fallout!!!!! i am sooooo sick of this. there is so much anger inside me and i am taking it out on everyone.i feel so lost and helpless. when is this gonna go away. ive tried to be reasonable but i am so ****** up. im going through this why me self pity stage i think. all my life i have heard people tell me to let things go and i will feel better. thats a load of ****!!!!! the things that were done to me because i was either too niave or too sick,or too drugged up on paxil were not right and i want justice.   believe me i going to take these people to court..... probably wont do ****, but i have to try.  its the only way i can let people know what has been done to me and the only way to close this chapter.  i know i probably sound off the wall today, but life hasnt been easy for me and i cant forget the awful things i had to indure. someone needs to be accountable for this,and not just me!!!!!! i was too young to fight back and was taught to  that what i felt or believed was not important and that only athourity figures were right.  do u know how many untruths i believed because i knew that i couldnt possibly say anything that would be taken seriously. they actually made me believe that!!!!! im taking them to court and you better believe that the media will be involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will someone please email or call me.  I'm haven't taken my paxil for about 4 days and I feel so terrible, like the world is going to end.  I feel hopeless.  Please help.  619-504-8215. ***@****
I may have found a good site. So I have been on Paxil Cr 6 yrs, I've been on 75mg of the **** for 3 yrs! Yes I said 75mg! I have read many sites and am finding no one has been on it this long or on such a high dose. HELP!!! The doctors know ****. I have been told by numerous docs that they don't know of anyone on this high a dose, yet do they help me get off it NO!!! So I have decided to go off it on my own, thank goodness I have my boyfriend! I decided to cut back by 1/2, so I am currently at 37.5 mg of this ****! I am on Week 2 of tapering. I don't know if I should go up 25mg and taper at the recommended (from the sites I've been to) of 12.5 mg every 2 weeks to a month or just ride this out. I can tell you that the 1st week wasn't too bad. But oh my, My head feels like it's gonna explode! I feel nauseaus and dizzy. And am starting to get the zaps! I am not working right now, thank goodness. but I am trying to take 2 classes. Speaking of which. If I don't leave now. I'm gonna be late to one. I will be back later to chat.
this withdrawal really shows u who ur friends and family r. they have to go through this with u too. its not easy for them because u can become very cruel. i warned everyone and my kids said they would be there for me. one of them lasted 11 days and the other has never even bothered to show up at all,and i asked her to please help but i guess she is too selfish to care about anyone but herself. another person decided i was too much of a hassel so i guess until a person experiences the fallout from paxil or any other major personal catastrophe u never really know who cares enough to stick it out with u. remember the real friends and family may want to kill u sometimes but they will be there.
i want to go back someone help me  i am over whelmed  i cannot stop crying my head hurts zaps dizzy. just when u think you might be getting better YOU NOT!!!!! by the way  anybody know that paxil and asprin can cause bleeding?gee ive been taking 81 mg a day for two years and having periods that were so bad clots the size of regulation baseballs were coming out and sometimes i would sit on the toilet and it would sound like i was pissing but it was blood!! i talked to a doctor about it more than once and was told to go on iron pills, WELL WELL   its my first period since i went off paxil and isnt it funny(not really) that i am having my first normal period in about two years!!!oh and by the way since starting paxil i gained 70 pounds...and gee isnt it funny(not really again)that i have already lost 9 pounds since going off it and believe me i have not done anything to warrent it because i am still too sick!!!!! theres so much more but i am just so sick of writing now i just want to crawl in bed and fade away.   i went on paxil for panic attacks,i would have rather found another way to deal than paxil if i was givin all the facts. i feel worse right now than i did when i went on it
scr_w the drug companies...its all about money!!!!
Did you come off Pacil cold-turkey? I'm sorry you don't have any real support. You can always talk on here. I will try to stop by and check the forum every once in awhile. Try going to paxilprogress . org. They have great information and a lot of people to talk to.
Me too, I am there with you.  I started tapering off two weeks ago and took my last 1/4 pill 4 days ago.  I guess it's really true that if you want to taper off, you will have to shave micrograms off over years to avoid what happens after you stop.  The nausea, ZAPS, and uncontrollable crying or urge to cry come and go, but when they come it seems like it will never end.  I even had to discuss with our HR director if I should take a medical leave of absence from work.  I may have no choice, I cannot see how I can run two departments in this condition.  If you will hang in there, so will I.  Maybe I'll see you over at paxilprogress
How much were you on to begin with? Sounds like you tapered too fast. You may need to go back up a bit. I do hope you check out paxilprogress. They are very helpful there and they do have some nurses who check the posts and get back to you. Good luck.
I am currently off paxil for about 2.5 weeks now.  I was only on 5mg.  Started at 20 went down to 10 and have been on 5mg for a year.  My head zaps are no fun as all I can do is lie down.

Dr.  I agree with Jamie.  Why don't you try it and then tell us your professional opinion
This is the worst experience of my life. I have been on paxil for 11 months and now have quit cold turkey because I found out I am pregnant. Long story short I was in the er yesterday because I could no longer function at work. I have severe dizziness and feelings of being on an elevator that drops quickly. These feelings are almost happening at a constant rate. Diarrhea, anger, crying and nausea are all occurring as well. I cannot explain how horrible I feel and to describe the vertigo feeling of falling is almost impossible. I cannot work or get behind the wheel of my car. I am having severe nightmares and night sweats. I am exhausted yet cannot fall asleep. I feel as though I will fall over everytime I try to get up and walk. I want in on the lawsuit against glaxo-smith- Kline. I would not wish this experience on anyone but the doctors who prescribe it then maybe it would stop being prescribed.
I have been on Paxil and Lamictal, low doses of both, for nearly 8 years due to being diagnose with mild BD. I have decided to finally come off these meds on my own. I have no insurance, but because i am a nurse making decent money i do not qualify for a discounted rate just to see the doctor to get another refill every three months. I have known for several years now the problems with coming off Paxil. When i had to change doctors away from the original prescribing doctor, the new one said i did not need my 20mg Paxil a day and that i needed to wean off of it and increase my low dose of 50mg Lamictal to 100mg. I think he did this over only a week or two. When i had no more Paxil i went for over a week with only a total of 15 hrs sleep, the zaps i always felt down my arms and hands when i missed a few days, my head was fuzzy and i could not concentrate, and i got annoyed and angry at the smallest thing. He finally relented and put me back on it. I was very depressed at the time since i had recently started what was a nasty divorce and know i could not have handled these withdrawals, especially since i was alone without family or friends. I am finally at a better place in my life and am ready to do this. After reading this, and other sites tonight i know it will not be easy. I have warned my kids, but know it won't be easy on them. I also did not know why i am always tired and with a lack of motivation to get up and do things. I just want to sleep whenever i am not working. Even after only being up for 5/6 hrs i am ready to go to sleep again. I know i am not being the mother for my kids that i know i can be and am determined to get off this poison! Tonight is my first night of taking only 3/4 of my 20mg Paxil. I won't work on the lamictal til i, hopefully, feel better after coming off the Paxil. I cannot afford to stay on it, yet am scared it could affect my job, as i am a pediatric homehealth RN for a young special needs boy. I don't have insurance, and don't qualify for medical leave or sick days at the agency i work for, but i have to do this for myself and my children. Please wish me luck.

Khrisia