Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Paradoxical effect of Klonopin

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Paradoxical effect of Klonopin
I am currently taking Klonopin for anxiety and have read that there can be a paradoxical effect while taking it.  Could you explain what that means?  Also, I read about an article in Feb. 1999 Biological Therapies in Psychiatry Newsletter, which discussed the idea of "once-weekly fluoxetine".  Are our doctors prescribing too high doses of medications to get the proper effect?
   Thank you.

Val
Paradoxical effect regarding the use of Klonopin means that your anxiety may worsen with Klonopin even though Klonopin is used to treat anxiety. There is no reasonable explanation for this phenomenon.
FDA is currently reviewing Eli Lilly's application for a once-a-week Prozac. It will be used mainly for maintenance therapy for depression. Approval is still pending.
Klonopin is Garbage,very addictive and harder to withdraw than cocaine or Heroin.Why the Government approved this junk has me mad knowing, that it is addictive. I guess they want competition with illegal drug sales of addictive drugs,.Shame on America and our Medical system.Once you build a tolerance to klonopin doctors do not want to help for fear of seizures even death in withdrawl. as in my situation. If you want to contact me my e-mail is -  ***@****      Sincerely,Jerry....
Jerry:  Please stop with the government conspiracy paranoia.  Do you want to make Val any more anxious than she already is?  You have no business posting a reply to her question; please only reply to someone when you actually want to help them.  

Val:  I was on Klonopin for anxiety and insomnia for a year.  I had no problems weaning myself from it under my doctor's supervision.  Comparing Klonopin to heroin is absurb.  Good luck.
I don't wish to make some wild accusation of this drug much to the chagrin of the doctors who prescribe it but upon taking Klonopin for anxietal problems my wife became incredibly agitated. It was as though she had been replaced by someone else. Her anxiety grew stronger to the point where she became suicidal. I know that many have reported positive results from taking it but I believe that some people's systems can reject the drug in a rather severe way. As for its addictive properties, I don't believe we will ever have to formulate an opinion on that as we will stay as far away from this drug as possible.

I took 12 mg of Klonopin to get off the booze and now I am free of the booze but still take 8 mg of Klonopin a day and would take more if allowed to. I think it is the greatest drug out there. It gives me energy, motivation and does not mess up my motor skills or thinking like booze does. I am sure one day my doc will tell me to cut off and I will have to withdraw slowly to avoid seizures. I am using it as a seizure prevention as well as anxiety right now and will not stop it unless I am forced to and then I will go back to booze if I have to. Yes, it is very addictive!