Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Paralysed by indecision
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Paralysed by indecision

Indecision has plagued my life. It may not seem like a big problem, but the years I've wasted becoming so anxious about choices i have to make have been, at times, agonising, I have now been in a state of indecision paralysis over a relationship for over a year. And before that it was about a job, and before I had big decisions to worry about I'd do the same with all the little ones. I've weighed up pros and cons and obsessed about potential outcomes till I've been in tears. I've had to leave my job because of anxiety, and have managed to bore/stress everyone around me to distraction with my constant indecision. The problem is that once I've 'made' a decision, it doesn't feel complete in my head. It still always feels unmade and I literally worry myself sick about it (is this an OCD thing? I do have a diagnosis of it, but for other reasons ie intrusive thoughts and compulsions, but not indecision). I really can't seem to stop. I'm hurting people all the time because I can't decide who to go out with, and the guilt (though I rightfully deserve it) is killing me. Please help me with some advice on how to make a decision, and for it to feel 'made', so that this torment can end, and more importantly so that I can stop hurting people. Thank you