Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Paxil Cr or Paxil?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Paxil Cr or Paxil?

I have recently been prescribed Paxil CR 12.5mg for some intense Anxiety and some Panic attacks. I've been reluctant to try it or any SSRI for that matter due to fear or side effects or "altering brain chemicals", but I am willing to give it a try because I have only received partial benefit from therapy and a lose dose of Alprazolam up to this point. My question is this, is Paxil CR a good choice for anxiety and what is the clinical difference between Paxil CR and regular Paxil? Does one stay in your system longer, is there any evidence that Paxil CR is a better choice or is tolerated better, or is there any evidence that it is better to just receive the immediate release formula of Paxil? Thanks in advance for you response.
There is good evidence that CR is easier to start, smoother, less side effects, and equally as effective...it is now the usual recommendation to start with...
I took paxil for panic syndrome.  It may be the most effective SSRI for anxiety.  Paxil CR is a newly patented time release version of Paxil.
CR would give more consistent (lower amplitude, longer duration) serum levels of paroxetine over a 24 hr period, when compared to once daily regular paxil.  IMHO, you would not notice the difference over a daily dose of generic paxil.  You could always go generic and take 1/2 -  2x a day.
Side effects of paxil are dose dependent.  12.5mg is a low theraputic dose. Side effects tend to be less noticeable in the weeks after starting.
The difference between Paxil CR and Paxil is detailed in the following links.

<a href=http://www.paxilcr.com/Paxil_CR_vs_Paxil.jsp>http://www.paxilcr.com/Paxil_CR_vs_Paxil.jsp<a>

<a href=http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20030917/msgs/262588.html>http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20030917/msgs/262588.html<a>
hey

I'm on regular paxil, and sometimes I find that I get anxious at night... it could be that I need a higher does (which I refuse to take), or perhaps I run out of the SSRI in my system.  I think the CR one would be better for people like me?  not sure.
Be CAREFUL -

I was on Celexa for 10 months. I noticed "tics" involving the left side of my face/neck/shoulder shortly after the dosage was increased to 40mg, that got worse over time. After withdrawing from the drug (which was horrible itself), the movements got much worse. They have stabalized, but have not gotten better. I have Tardive Dyskinesia. I live every day, all day, and worse in the evening with horrible involuntary movements that are constant (about one movement a second). These movements are so strong that my entire upper body is moved by them. The only relief I get is when I sleep, they disappear.

If anyone ever notices involuntary movements on SSRI's, even if those movements seem trivial, TELL YOUR DOCTOR, and make them listen to you! Mine told me not to worry, for months, until it was too late.

Celexa is supposed to be the one SSRI with the least side effects of them all.
I have generalized anxiety disorder, and I've been put on PaxilCR 12.5 mg. I can't relax enough to fall asleep at night. I was wondering if paxil will help me sleep, or should I get a medication to cure this insomnia?