Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Paxil and Problems Voiding

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Paxil and Problems Voiding

Hi, I am a 25 yr old female and have been taking Paxil for anxiety and panic for 11 wks now. I am on 60 mg daily and have had little to no side effects as well as great results. A few weeks ago, I noticed I had trouble starting to urinate. It's not like I can't, it just takes awhile. In addition, I have had some tingling down my legs while working out, especially when I pull my head back. (I did do some new exercises yesterday.) My ddx includes a UTI(started antibiotic and urospaz today), MS(which really freaks me out), musculoskeletal and Paxil side effects. Oh, and I also take 25 of Lorazepam daily. Any thoughts?

Also, I had to take a medical leave of absence from med school due to continual panic attacks and anxiety. I am doing very well right now, but sometimes I have trouble reading as I relate that to school. I want to return to school next March where I left off. I know that all patients respond differently, but I can't find any statistics regarding the probability that I will be back to normal by then. So, I worry about that too! I want to be a doctor, probably a psychiatrist, more than anything. I would just like to know what my chances are getting back to my "old self" again. Any thoughts on this too? Your help is greatly appreciated. God Bless.
Dear Med student....at the higher doses of Paxil( which you are at) there is significant anticholingeric activity, which may be a big factor in your current symptoms.  It also effects the nitric oxide level in the nerve fibers which might also account for the tingling.  I suggest you talk to your doctor about lowering the dose...most of the clincial effect is reached at the lower dosage.

About returning to your former self and overcoming your panic attacks, that will be strongly influenced by the psychotherapy you engage in....it is not something that time alone will effect, you will have to do some work on yourself....If you are not in treatment now, you can begin online therapy at my site, www. masteringstress.com. If not find, a therapist through your  school.