Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Paxil and memory loss

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Paxil and memory loss

I too have been on paxil for over 10 yrs now, treating anxiety/panic disorder.
I also feel that my memory keeps getting worse and worse and also would like to know if this could be a side effect from using Paxil for so long.  I see that others have the same inquiry on this blog.  My mom too is on Paxil and feels her memory is getting worse!
I also sleep ALOT and wonder if the paxil can be causing that also?
I'm on 20 mg now.  I started out with 10 but then had post-partum depression 8 yrs ago and went up to 20 which I've been on 8 yrs now.

It is a definite possibility, but there are no long term studies to confirm this possibility. It may also be a sign of depression breaking through.  When you use Paxil alone, rather than Paxil and  psychotherapy, you suppress the depression but do not deal with the source of the depression.  You can either ask your doctor about increasing the dose or look into some counseling.
I don't know.  A lot of medications are paradoxical.  (For example, they can be used to treat anxiety but make you more anxious).

Memory loss and cognition are huge issues for me too.
Subjectively I always felt it was due to the medication I was being asked (forced) to take.  

Memory loss can also be a result of anxiety.  If we're stressed or anxious we tend to not concentrate as well and either don't retain or have difficultly retrieving information.

Anxiety can also make us feel extremely fatigued.  Sleep can also be a coping mechanism.  We can use sleep to avoid confronting our fears.

I just don't know.  Memory loss is a sensitive subject and one I can find extremely triggering.  I expect some of the issues with meds and memory loss also come back to trust.  Do we trust the health professionals prescribing these drugs?

My understanding is that high stress levels can cause irreversible brain damage (due to the cortisol).
Our brains are plastic though and we can utilize other neural pathways.

J