Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Paxil for migraines ?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Paxil for migraines ?

Hi,
       Over the years I have experienced occasional migraines preceded by auras.  I might have an episode only once a year or so, usually preceded by a stressful event.  The auras are totally debilitating as I might lose my ability to see for almost an hour.  This loss of sight is more frightening to me than the severe headache that follows.  I also have a history of anxiety attacks in social situations which I have never been treated for.
       Recently my husband and I have been having marital problems.  I run a business and the stress of my all my responsibilities and trying to deal with my emotional life has caused me much grief.  Last week I started having the auras and migraine more frequently.  I had 5 episodes in 3 days.  I saw my doctor, broke down and told him about the stress level in my life.  He prescribed paxil, as he felt the migraines were coming on by stress.  I am on the "starter kit" where I take 10mgs. for 1 week than it is raised up to 20mgs.  With everything I have read about paxil these last couple of days I wondered if staying on only 10 mgs. might be just as effective.  Does 10mgs. do anything at all?  Or do you have to be on at least 20mgs. to get relief?
       I have not had an episode since I started the 10 mgs. 3 days ago.   Any help you can give me will be appreciated.  Thanks