Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Personality disorder

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Personality disorder

Hi, just wanted to get some feedback on personality disorders.  

1. What is the real difference between Schizoid personality disorder and avoidant personality disorder? Is avoidant disorder the same as Social Anxiety disorder?
2. Is the main difference that a person with SAD wants to be sociable but cannot because of extreme anxiety and a person with Schizoid simply doesn't want to be sociable?  
3. Can severe social anxiety lead to other problems like health anxiety and depression down the road if left untreated?
4. Is SAD treatable and can it go away?

I read that people with SAD experience extreme anxiety when in any social situation: avoid parties, dating, meetings, school and even getting jobs which require interaction with people.

5. Can someone experience social anxiety in some situations yet be totally the opposite in other situations? For instance
what if you are a person who avoids social situations like parties and you experience social anxiety. At the same time you are a very talkative person at work, you are willingly changing jobs to one that requires more social interaction(instead of avoiding it) and you are not afraid of facing people with authority at all etc...

I would like a good explanation of the above questions if possible.

Thanks.

These diagnoses come in all colors and shapes, so lets talk about the underlying phenomenon.  When a person sees"danger" in a situation, they avoid it, or if in it, or anticipate it, they are anxious. The "danger" can be situation specific, like parties but not work, and that means that it is dating and rejection of romance that is the danger, not talking to people, so yes you can be gregarious at work because dating is not the issue.

YOu can definitely get over this phenomenon...it is learned to begin with and can be unlearned through therapy, experimentation and sometimes medication assistance.

If untreated, and the person doesn't struggle to change it, it can have a big effect on the shape of a person's life, and close off a lot of important options.

If you or your friend want online help, you can go to www.masteringstress.com
1 Comment
hey i'm a 16yr old female.

i was diagnosed with multiple personalities, also with suicidal depression. i was seeing a counslor but my parents wont let me go any more.they also wont let me get on any medications.
and i seem to be getting worse. they wont let me see my boyfriend any more and he's the one thing that i live for. i've tryed talking to my parents but they dont want to listen. i dont eat any more. what do i do? please help me.
  ~Jenn~