Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Personality disorder
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Personality disorder

Hi, just wanted to get some feedback on personality disorders.  

1. What is the real difference between Schizoid personality disorder and avoidant personality disorder? Is avoidant disorder the same as Social Anxiety disorder?
2. Is the main difference that a person with SAD wants to be sociable but cannot because of extreme anxiety and a person with Schizoid simply doesn't want to be sociable?  
3. Can severe social anxiety lead to other problems like health anxiety and depression down the road if left untreated?
4. Is SAD treatable and can it go away?

I read that people with SAD experience extreme anxiety when in any social situation: avoid parties, dating, meetings, school and even getting jobs which require interaction with people.

5. Can someone experience social anxiety in some situations yet be totally the opposite in other situations? For instance
what if you are a person who avoids social situations like parties and you experience social anxiety. At the same time you are a very talkative person at work, you are willingly changing jobs to one that requires more social interaction(instead of avoiding it) and you are not afraid of facing people with authority at all etc...

I would like a good explanation of the above questions if possible.

Thanks.