Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Prozac

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Prozac

PLEASE HELP ME!  I was in a horrific car accident after a night of drinking heavily while on 100 MG. of PROZAC. Do you have any information on Prozac & Alcohol use?  

My accident happened the morning after the drinking.  I had no idea that I was impaired!  I would not have driven, luckily no one else was hurt but myself.  

I was told that Prozac does not allow the alcohol to break down in your liver~~does anyone have any information on this.

Does anyone know anything about PROZAC & ALCOHOL?  Side Effects?

Please respond as I am facing serious charges due to the accident.  I would also like you to know that I had not drank in quite sometime, and am a current AA member.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Kindly.
First of all 100mg is a very large dose. If you took that on your own without supervision, you were taking much too much.

Secondly, prozac stays in your systems a long time..weeks.

Yes Prozac is metabolized in the liver and can compete with metabolism of alchohol.

Almost all doctors recommend that you do not drink and take antidepressants.

Also, Prozac tends to make you more anxious in the beginning, and if this was a high dose in the beginning it certainly could have effected your judgement because of the anxiety effect.
I was under a Dr. supervision and had been on that amount (100 mg>) for the past 8 months.  Could you please tell me where I could get more information on the reaction of prozac mixed w/alcohol?  Also, does prozac make your alcohol content higher due to the way it interferes with the process of alcohol?
100 MG of Prozac is enough to f*&^% up an Elephant! Who on earth prescribed this dosage to you? I think yourself? My advice to you is to seek medical help and adjust that unreal dose.  Sorry about your accident.
P.S I have been on Prozac for 5 years and have drank moderately from time to time. I think it was the alcohol combined with 100 MG that chewed you up and spit you out.  For legal reasons I would not mention that dosage you took, you will get little to no sympathy from a judge because you overmedicated.
Heavily Drinking is probably the bigger issue here...duh!!!!
I was recently diagnosed with some depression, and my doctor wants to put me on Prozac.  I've had a transplant (20 years ago this past June), I'm diabetic, high blood pressure, asthma, and have high cholesterol.  

With all the medicines I'm on, I'm nervous about taking Prozac because I'm not sure of the interractions with my meds.  She told me to think about it, and if I agree to take Prozac, she would give me a prescription.  

I'm also nervous about taking a medication I'm unfamiliar with.  I want to know, if I don't want to take it after awhile, would I be able to go off of it, or is this something I have to take for the rest of my life.

I appreciate any suggestions you could give me.