Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Prozac for OCD, Anxiety, Panic

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Prozac for OCD, Anxiety, Panic

I used to take Prozac for my anxiety, panic disorder, and OCD, and it seemed to work great. About a year ago I quit cold-turkey because I lost a family member and I thought that the medications had stopped working.  I totally regret it.

I have been taking Prozac again for 3 weeks now. I started 1 week on 10 MG and now for 2 weeks have been on 20.  My anxiety seems to be a little better.. I am more calm.. but my racing thoughts and fears and OCD tendancies are still strong, and I don't think any better.  (I have a huge phobia of vomiting, and I am unable to eat now because of all the racing thoughts in my head and worries about getting sick.)

Is it normal for the fluoxetine or any medication to take longer on OCD?  Can a medication that worked for me in the past work again?  

Thank you for your help.
Yes, the medication can work again just as well as before. Yes it may take longer for the ocd, but that should kick in quite soon...but....the medication may be the same, but you are different now than what you were before and may be dealing with different life problems, so don't avoid get some counseling help as well.