Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Prozac withdrawal symptoms - please help!

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

I wrote the other week about going off Prozac after only being on it for a couple of weeks. I didn't like the side effects and decided I just didn't need to be on anything. I was on 20 mg a day for a little over two weeks. I was advised (here) to go off slowly - tapering down over a 2 week period. I'm not sure if I did it correctly or not, but I started taking the 20 mg every other day. I did that last week and then today I started with 10 mg and thought I'd do that every other day. The problem is, I am having MAJOR withdrawal symptoms. I have chills and shaking, then I get hot and clamy. I have been nauseous and yesterday I threw up. I have had really bad headaches, body aches - I feel like I have the flu. This morning I was sweating pretty badly and then when I took the 10 mg (I emptied the capsule in juice and drank half of it) it subsided slightly.
My question is - what can I do to make this experience more tolerable? I am just miserable and scared from all that I've read, that this might go on for a long time. I can't live like this. Thankfully, I don't have to work right now. I couldn't.
Please help!

Thanks!
1 Comment
Since I wrote this post I have noticed some wheezing. I have had some chest congestion for a couple of days, but thought that it was allergies. Could this also be related to the medicine?