Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Racing thoughts and pressured speech

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Racing thoughts and pressured speech

I have had major depression with psychotic features many years and now my doctor says I am bipolar.  It is hard for me to believe. I keep thinking I could just be feeling so much better since my deep depression earlier this year.  I must admit I feel absolutely euphoric, have charged up almost $5000 on my charge card in just about two or three months time,am really energetic,talk more, etc.  I had a period of time that I felt like I was going 100 miles an hour, but I am not sure what that means.  Would you please tell me what racing thoughts and pressured speech are?
A diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder is having symptoms such as irritability, inflated self-esteem, decreased need for sleep, being more talkative than usual, racing thoughts, agitation, and excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g. shopping sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments).
This may alternate with episodes of depression charaterized by feelings of sadness, decreased interest in pleasurable things, sleep disturbance, poor appetite, poor concentration, low energy that may last for at least 2 weeks.
Racing thoughts are defined as numerous thoughts or ideas entering your mind at the same time. For example, having a thought of wanting to clean the room at the same time having the thought of cooking for dinner, balancing the checkbook, etc. Pressured speech on the other hand, you are more talkative than usual or pressured to keep on talking. This is associated with speech that is rapid and oftentimes the listener is unable to comprehend adequately what you are talking about.
I'm not a doctor but I understand that racing thoughts and pressure to talk are symptomatic of mania/hypomania. It feels amazing but it is a pretty expensive high. Go see your Doctor before it progresses any further otherwise you could be heading for real trouble. I take carbamazepine and its fine. Come back down to earth and join the rest of us, its not that bad!
I read your question and Joanna's comment.  I have a friend named Joanna with this disorder.  I, too, have also had hypomanic/hypodepressive symptoms.  I am still not convinced that this is my problem, but I certainly can't deny the symptoms.  I am trying to get pregnant.  I have one son and we are doing very well.  My symptoms were worse a couple of years back.  Today they are better without drugs.  I have resisted using drugs even during my low times because I am actively trying to get pregnant and having trouble (have been trying for three years).  I don't know if any of this relates to your situation.  Hope it can help.  I will pray for you.