Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Re: What is wrong with me?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Re: What is wrong with me?

Posted By Yvonne on July 26, 1999 at 17:00:36
I don't know where to start really.
My problem stems from my Father leaving me when I was about 8. I haven't seen him for over 15 years. My problem has been with me for most of my life, and only got worse instead of better. Only now with medication and therapy is it improving slowly.
I have a lot of anxiety, depression, mood swings, and have a pattern of harming myself. I have been in hospital twice in the past year. Once for an overdose and once for suicidal depression. I have often gone from feeling great to feeling awful in a matter of hours, for no apparent reason.during the darkest times I often want to kill myself.
I have missed  a lot of work and have trouble holding down a job I can't afford to lose.
sometimes I get so sick of it all.

Posted By HFHS MD - RG on July 28, 1999 at 09:52:30
Dear Yvonne,
    From what you have indicated, your pattern of behavior may have its beginnings when you were 8 years old when your father left you and from thereon you have been having difficulties. Fortunately, a combination treatment of medications and psychotharapy is bringing you some relief.
    From the brief description you had posted, you may be suffering a type of personality disorder called Borderline Personality Disorder. It is a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image and affects and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood. Persons may feel real or imagined abandonment, have unstable interpersonal relationships,suffer from poor self-image, feel chronically empty and be inappropriately angry and impulsive. Regarding its natural history, the disorder is fairly stable in that patients with borderline personality may change little over time. Longitudinal studies do not show a progression toward Schizophrenia, but patients do have a high incidence of depressive disorders.The good news is that treatment can help patients change their behaviour and help with the mood swings.
     Information contained in this Forum is intended solely for general educational purposes. This information contained in this service
is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for a professional medical advise relatine to your specific medical condition or question. You may call Henry Ford Behavioral Health at(248) 689-7476 for an immediate evaluation.
I wish you the best,
HFHS MD - RG

Follow Ups: