Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Repression
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Repression

I was wondering if there are any signs that one has been sexually abused in the past but is repressing it. There is a history of sexual abuse in my extended family...also of siblings, but not me. I have in the past (and still do I suspect) have had inappropriate sexual contact. I guess I don't have very good 'sexual morals' for lack of a better term. I've also had dreams and have kinda daydreamed about inappropriate sexualk experiences...they have never really been pleasurable just dirty and uncomfortable feeling. Is this normal? Could I possibly be repressing some experiences?? How exactly does repressing incidents happen?
thank-you for your time.
Julie
Related Discussions
Dear Julie,

In psychiatry, a number of different theories are used as models to explain human behavior. Depending on the orientation of the mental health professional, you would receive different opinions regarding your question. However, unconscious thoughts regarding unresolved issues may affect a person's current psychological well being. Oftentimes, we see individuals who have had unpleasant experiences in the past cause undue stress in their current state manifested either as bad dreams, deteriorating emotional state such as feelings of depression or anxiety, or poor interpersonal relationships.

It is just as possible that the dreams are just that, dreams, and that you have never suffered abuse.  Individuals may have conflicts about sex without suffering sexual abuse.

Each theory has corresponding therapeutic techniques that are based on the different underlying explanatory models of behavior. I would recommend a mental health professional who is willing to work in dealing with this issue.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD -RG

*KEYWORD: UNCONSCIOUS
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker