Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Risks of taking 5HTP and effexor together
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Risks of taking 5HTP and effexor together

I have been taking Effexor and Hydro....Trazadone for several years. I was away for the weekend and forgot to bring my Trazadone with me and my friend suggested I go to a health food shop to see if they had something to help me sleep. I was recommended  Magnesium and 5HTP -  to be taken together which I started taking a few days ago. Today I started feeling very depressed and couldn't figure out why until I spoke to a friend who said I shouldn't be combing 5HTP and anti-depressants. Is that true?
Related Discussions
242532_tn?1269553979
you have already received a perfectly crafted response.  I have nothing to add.
2 Comments
Blank
Yes, it's true if the antidepressants affect serotonin, which Effexor does.  5-HTP is a metabolite of tryptophan, which in combination with co-factors manufactures serotonin in your body.  The theoretical risk is that you can produce too much serotonin effect, something called serotonin syndrome.  If you want a natural remedy for sleep, I would start with something called melatonin, the body's natural body clock regulator.  1mg would be a good dose, taken a half hour before bedtime.  If that doesn't work, you can try a homeopathic remedy called Calm's Forte.  Neither will interfere adversely with what you're taking, though if you resume the trazadone it's so sedating I wouldn't take anything else that helps sleep.  A lot of times you have to either do natural or medication, since there are sometimes conflicts.  The magnesium is a good idea, however, as antidepressants frequently deplete the body of magnesium.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979