Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Seeking clarity about covert schizoid personality disorder. Thank you f...

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Seeking clarity about covert schizoid personality disorder. Thank you for assisting me.

Hi there.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
I’m a Male, aged 23.
I am quite sure that I identify with the descriptions I have seen of a covert schizoid personality disorder. These descriptions talk about how some people with schizoid personality disorder can learn to present in public with an engaging and entertainingly warm and outgoing style; some schizoid personalities commit to a false self that is far more talkative, energetic, and embracing than they really feel they are at heart. They form relationships easily and frequently so as to compensate for a sense of inner emptiness and so forever mislead others (and maybe themselves) about their own true nature.
I was sort of a ‘Mr. Popular’ at my school, but it was all an elaborate and increasingly desperate act and I knew it. When I returned to live at home after graduation last June, I think I just about finally let my mask go and, along with it, my college relationships and I fell into spiraling depression. All I wanted was to be alone. I can barely even stand the thought of getting a job just because I feel constant anxiety and tension in the ‘outside world’, like I’m just not good enough or committed enough. I know isolation is not so healthy, yet somehow I feel the withdrawal is allowing me to reconnect with myself as deeply as I need to.

I feel I may have developed a covert schizoid personality and that I’ve learned over the years how to play the act to cover up for what I thought had been my natural deficiencies in life.
What I really need to know is: Is covert schizoid personality REAL? And does it seem from this brief description of me that I might have this disorder?
I’m half preparing myself to start communicating with my parents about this possibility, but I need to know for sure how much credence there is to the idea of covert schizoid PD. What I do know is that I have developed some form of personality disorder.
Thank you for your help.
Hello.

I am not sure if I have a good answer for this. There are a few authors who have published their hypotheses about 'secret' schizoid personality disorder, which could be the same as covert type. However, you should make sure this is not a depressive disorder you are dealing with. A covert schizoid personality disorder does not necessarily explain the depression you had after college.

DSM-IV TR and ICD-10 do not describe a covert type. And so far, it remains a subjective area. You might also want to consider 'personality disorder not otherwise specified'.

Hope this helps a bit.
Aw come on, everyone you see is putting on their public face.

Maybe you are depressed now, when you are you see everything, including your life through these kinds of glasses.