Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Selexa
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Selexa

Hi
  I am wondering what you know about the brand new medicine SELEXA,
  I think it is an antidepressent.  Is it helpful in treatment of
  Borderline disorder?  Does it have many side effects?
Related Discussions

_
Dear Sara;
Celexa (Citalopram) is the newest drug among the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI's).  It is indicated for the treatment of depression and considering that it is a newly approved product, there has not been a lot of studies on its use in other psychiatric disorders.  It may have efficacy in Panic Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder like other SSRI's.  Antidepressants are used in patients with Borderline Personality Disorder if there is an intercurrent major depression or if there are chronic depressive symptoms or anxiety.  In clinical studies, SSRI's improve not only depressive symptoms but also anger and hostility un some patients.  Patients are usually started on 20 mg./day and increased to 40 mg./day as needed.  Although some patients may require a dose of 60 mg./day, studies done have not been able to show efficacy of 60 mg./day over 40 mg./day of Celexa.  The most common side effects include dry mouth, sedation, nausea, and insomnia among others.
I hope this information was helpful.  It is however for general education purposes only and is not intended to be used as substitute for professional medical advice.
Keywords: Celexa/Borderline Personality

MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979