Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Seratonin levels
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Seratonin levels

Im going through some health problems right now.  Ive had 1 doctor tell me that I have an anxiety disorder that is causing all the tingling, burning, and muscle cramping in my body.  He tried me on elavil which greatly increased my heart rate.  Ive been on Ativan which has been "ok", but not a real big help.  My question is,  how can one be certain that a person has an anxiety or depression disorder?  How are seratonin levels measured in the body?  Thank you
Related Discussions
NL,

With the limited information provided, it would be impossible for me to give you a diagnosis. Your symptoms of tingling, burning and mucle cramping should be evaluated by your primary care physician, to rule out medical/neurological causes. If no medical/neurological causes are found, your symptoms may be due to an anxiety or somatoform disorder, in which case you may find consultation with a mental health professional helpful. Serotonin levels in the body are usually measured indirectly, by obtaining levels of a serotonin metabolite (5-Hydroxyindoleacetic acid, 5-HIAA) in urine or cerebrospinal fluid samples. It is not standard clinical practice to measure serotonin levels, except in research settings. Please refer to our forum archives for more information on anxiety and depression, and discuss your concerns further with your treating physician.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979