Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Seroquel for adolescent depression?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Seroquel for adolescent depression?

My 13 year-old depressed daughter was voluntarily committed to a psychiatric facility.  Child Protective Services were called because I refused to sign a blanket anti-psychotic medications consent without being informed of her diagnosis and medications recommended. I was forced to sign.  I wasn't too surprised when she was prescribed Seroquel.  I was told that she is not schizoid and not bipolar as far as they know now.  Since Seroquel is not approved for children under 18 and is not approved for uni-polar, what can I do to have the clinician try another approach or helping with coping skills or another medication. Since I signed to consent, it is only at the goodness of their hearts that I was told of this.  I know as a nurse why I'm glad to give Seroquel to my confused elderly patients, but my daughter is not agitated or acting out.  The nurse practionner says that it is a liability issue why the pharmaceutical companies add those warnings.  My daughter is morbidly obese with a strong family history of diabetes and has hyperlipidemia.  I would like some more information on the matter.  I guess I have no choice now (as it was put to me), but I would like to know anyway.  I want my daughter to learn coping skills that is a more effective method of dealing with problems.